SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Suppressing a 556P
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressing a 556P Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Just for shits and grins, I'm going to Form 1 the 556P in my safe that hasn't seen the light of day for years.

Can anyone tell me the ins and outs of suppressing one? I don't have any piston guns that have suppressors at the moment, and the AK-104 that eventually will is going to be at the smith for a mighty long while.

I'll probably be throwing a Sandman K on there when I get it. What should I look out for with that on a 556P?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Customizing the valve would be ideal. They are a bit over-gassed with a can, and the Swiss 4-position valves don't work on them.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I'll probably be throwing a Sandman K on there when I get it. What should I look out for with that on a 556P?

with a compact can, like the sandman K. i dont think you will need to do much. i have a rugged micro 30 that ive used on a 556p/SBR with either the long or short config works ok. it's definitely harder on the gun. i have a custom gas valve on it that helps, but it is not a huge difference. i havent tried a longer 556 specific can myself. i figure a more restrictive can might need the valve more, cant say.

no issues though.

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Where does one get a custom valve or who can modify the factory valve?

And side question: how do you fix your 556 in a vise to change muzzle devices? Just an AR magwell block?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rubber vise jaws on the gas block works for muzzle devices.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be able to help with the valve. Email me if you do end up form1ing it.

posted Hide Post
The 556P was my first SBR, definitely worth the time and money to get a stock on it. I put one magazine through with my Griffin Paladin mounted and it definitely pushed gas through the upper/lower seams. I enjoy shooting it but not very much with a can.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can reinforce what Creeping_Death said. Without a valve, they are hard on themselves, and can be gassy from the receiver seams. I had a huge gas problem with one of mine due to the quad-rail handguard as well.