SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    What happens if someone holds onto the suppressor when a pistol is fired?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happens if someone holds onto the suppressor when a pistol is fired? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I’m asking about a hard grip as if someone were trying to wrest the gun away from the shooter and one or two shots were fired?

I am curious what the effect would be on operation and cycling of the gun. If there was no interference with the slide, would it still function properly?

(And what I’m not referring to is holding onto it long enough for it to get uncomfortably hot. I know that.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
On a pistol with a fixed barrel, such as a P7 or a Walther PP-series pistol, probably nothing, but on pistols which have a conventional locking system, it would be one shot (if even that) and done.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks for clarifying.
I was thinking of pistols whose barrels move during the process, not fixed barrels.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para has the answer in principle. But in fact the answer probably depends on the direction of the forces involved in "wresting". If you pull likely you get a single shot. But if you push as you might in a wrestling match you likely will get a cycle as that is the actual goal of the booster. And some guns and certain ammo just don't care (meaning that they should need a booster but run anyway).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have done it. You get one shot and a failure to extract. At least, that’s what I recall. It was some time ago.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I have done it.

Thanks for the responses, and especially for the voice of experience.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I haven't held the can, but I've held the slide, in an effort to eliminate the slide's movement, for a quieter suppressed shot. Turns out it's VERY difficult to prevent the slide's movement. Even with one man holding the gun, and another grasping the slide as tight as he can, it still moved a smidge out of battery.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I haven't held the can, but I've held the slide, in an effort to eliminate the slide's movement, for a quieter suppressed shot. Turns out it's VERY difficult to prevent the slide's movement. Even with one man holding the gun, and another grasping the slide as tight as he can, it still moved a smidge out of battery.

What caliber was this? I've held the slide forward on a Glock 19 with my firing hand thumb with no problem.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
226 MK25 with an AAC Tirant-9, shooting 147gr subs.
Perhaps the booster encouraging the unlocking makes it harder to hold? That's the only thing I can think of. On that pistol, on that day, I sure didn't want to put my thumb behind that sucker.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post