SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Does a suppressor affect reliability on semi auto .22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does a suppressor affect reliability on semi auto .22 Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I want to suppress a semi auto .22

Will it have any negative impact on reliability? Probably a Ruger 22/45

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think a completely general answer is possible. That's because almost every .22 has some reliability quirks to start with (ammo primarily, but sometimes lube etc.) But I have no issues running mine with a DA mask and the ammo I normally use. For sure your cleaning routine will be a bit shorter, but other than that nothing to note. Its a great combination IMO!

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My first 22/45 had ammo issues before I suppressed it. I had the local gunsmith run a chamber cutter thru it and ran like a champ after that.

My latest 2 22/45s both have a PACLITE barrel and I run them suppressed. No issues. 22 is a dirty gun, adding a can makes it even dirtier. Just clean it and it’ll run forever.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
It will absolutely increase the recommended cleaning interval IME.

one of my best guns is a CZ452 American with an old silencerco can. Just recently I had a misfire because the firing pin channel had become clogged with powder residue. I didn't even know that can happen.

Certainly, shooting suppressed will introduce more firing residue into the action of the weapon vs non.

Just put it this way, most diligent gun owners clean their guns too often. Except for the NFA guys!

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
MkIV 22/45 with a DA Mask here. Over a thousand rounds of subsonic through it without a hiccup.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is not a poker game and a comment like I'll see your 1k and raise you isn't really the right reply. But for the OP I have many, many more rounds than 1K though a 22/45 and a mask and other than the necessary and frequent cleaning both have been reliable as Gustofer says...
sidebar if you are going to run a .22 can then you should just plan to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner IMO.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a tac sol barrel on my buckmark my dead air 22 supressor is quiet with all subsonic ammo of course. Finding a round that cycled took some testing. Most subsonic rounds couldn’t cycle and turned it into a single shot. Faster ammo has no problems but you don’t get as much sound benefit from the suppressor. Not a problem on bolt rifle of course.

Posts: 4767 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
MkIV 22/45 with a DA Mask here. Over a thousand rounds of subsonic through it without a hiccup.

Same here. It can get DIRTY quickly, but it still works. I would still clean the gun and can regularly to keep it 100%. And lube. Lots of lube!

Another advantage is that all the .22LR I've used in my Volquartsen MK4 22/45 has been subsonic with my barrel length.

quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Finding a round that cycled took some testing. Most subsonic rounds couldn’t cycle and turned it into a single shot.

What barrel length?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post