SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Moving with suppressors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving with suppressors Login/Join 
posted
I couldn’t find the answer looking at the hard to navigate ATF website so would appreciate some information!
I will be moving soon and suspect you have to file a change of address with ATF?
Is there a form ( paper or on line) that needs to be completed?

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ATF form 5320.20. Application to Transport Interstate.

Posts: 118 | Location: KDTO...NTX | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I couldn’t find the answer looking at the hard to navigate ATF website so would appreciate some information!
I will be moving soon and suspect you have to file a change of address with ATF?
Is there a form ( paper or on line) that needs to be completed?

Are you moving in-state, or out of state? You only need the form if moving to a different state.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Read your approved Form 1 (5320.1) and/or Form 4 (5320.4).

On the Form 1 (September 2019, latest version), under the section Important Information for Currently Registered Firearms you will find:

Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

Similar wording on the Form 4.

Notice that they do not explicitly indicate an exemption for an in-state change of address.

If you notify the ATF in a letter, they will respond and instruct you to submit your notification on the Form 20 (5320.20).

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!
I am staying instate actually new house is only a couple miles away from current one

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Remember to fill out "Mode of Transportation". If you're transporting them yourself, specify "Personal Vehicle".

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I’m sure you know this already, but no such form is required if you’re only moving suppressors. They’re conspicuously absent from the language in Section 922 (a)(4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently submitted a bunch of 5320.20 forms. Not the first time either. Had one come back disapproved this time; reason being one of the items is "not in inventory". These people are goobers. Going to resend the form with a copy of the disapproved form, copy of the form4, and images of the item. Classic.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
I’m sure you know this already, but no such form is required if you’re only moving suppressors. They’re conspicuously absent from the language in Section 922 (a)(4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR.

More details please. A single suppressor is the only NFA item I am moving. Are you saying no notifications to atf are required?

secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Call the ATF NFA Division at (304) 616-4500 and tell them you're moving with your suppressor. Ask them if you need to notify them of your permanent change of address.

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

More details please. A single suppressor is the only NFA item I am moving. Are you saying no notifications to atf are required?

This is the text at the bottom of the 5320.20

a. A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate
or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun is required under the provisions of Section 922 (a)
(4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR. A letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in lieu of the form.

I’ve also submitted this question to the “Ask the Experts” function on the ATF site when we moved last and the response was that while my SBRs did require it, the silencers did not, but the NFA branch still recommended it.

Also, straight from the ATF’s website here

Edited to add:
Of course now as I do more reading it seems things might have changed since the last time we moved. Best bet would be to use the “Ask the Experts” function on the ATF site. Of all the grief the ATF (rightly) gets, the folks at the NFA branch are some of the best government employees I’ve ever interacted with. They truly seem to care and are typically very responsive and helpful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigM4,

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post