SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Ever have a round disintegrate in the suppressor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever have a round disintegrate in the suppressor? Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
I was testing out some subsonic rounds I recently loaded up (147 fmj and 4 grn of CFE Pistol).

After shooting, I took the suppressor off and noticed some chunks of lead and jacket in the suppressor. I don't see any damage to the baffles or end cap.

Ive only had suppressors for a couple years now. And this is the first time seeing something like this. Is it normal?

My setup is a Sig MPX and Dead Air Wolfman.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
NOT Normal...What mount are you using w/ the Wolfman? I suggest you verify that the Muzzle Decive/Mount is concentric to the bore w/ an Alignment Rod. Also, Dead Air has been having QC issues which have been reported to affect the Wolfman. Customers have been experiencing baffle strikes where their suppressors have been described as 'puking baffles downrange', so I'd rule this in or out prior to shooting it again. It guess it 'could' be a QC issue with a projectile, where round was was not stabilized and sheared off the jacket on one of the baffles but regardless, it's definitely NOT normal.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I've put a couple thousand rounds through this setup. Only thing different this time was the load I was trying out.

The mount is a dead air mount. But I'll check alignment tonight after work.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
No baffle strikes and shooting reloads---is the problem the bullet?
Jacketed or plated?
Old bullets?

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You might try shooting that load through the MPX unsuppressed to verify the projectile is not 'keyholing' in a paper target and ensure it is stabilizing after it exits the barrel. What is the barrel length of the MPX?

Also, which Dead Air Mount...There's like five different ways to mount a Wolfman! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
No baffle strikes and shooting reloads---is the problem the bullet?
Jacketed or plated?
Old bullets?

This is what I'm wondering.

They are FMJ RMR bullets, not plated.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
You might try shooting that load through the MPX unsuppressed to verify the projectile is not 'keyholing' in a paper target and ensure it is stabilizing after it exits the barrel. What is the barrel length of the MPX?

Also, which Dead Air Mount...There's like five different ways to mount a Wolfman! Wink

Keymicro brake.

I should have shot it without the suppressor but I didn't think about it.

It looks like just one bullet did this. There wasn't a ton of debris. That is why I think the bullet partially broke apart. Like I said, I've run a couple thousand rounds through this setup.

Next time I shoot it I'll try shooting paper to see if it's keyholing. But it may be a month before I get a chance to try it again.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Is there any visible damage when you look down the can with a flashlight?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Inspect the bullets--drop a few to see if they break apart. If you have access to a bore scope--check the suppressor.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I found a couple small pieces of jacket on the muzzle brake mount. I think the bullet started to break up as soon as it exited the barrel.

You can see a couple small pieces of jacket at the first baffle

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The baffles look OK from what I can see. I'd be leaning towards an ammo issue.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
The baffles look OK from what I can see. I'd be leaning towards an ammo issue.

I feel the same. Especially since it's a new load.

But being fairly new to suppressors I thought I would ask those more knowledgeable.