SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Suppressed accuracy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressed accuracy Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Just curious if anyone/everyone else notices a difference in accuracy with suppressed .22LR.

I was shooting my TD with some GemTech subsonics today and couldn't for the life of me, despite bagging front and back, get decent grouping at 50M. The best I could do consistently was 1-2" (closer to 2). Yet, I can take my other 10/22 and drive tacks at the same distance with regular supersonic rounds.

Is it the GemTechs? The suppressor? Me?

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
What brand is the suppressor ?? I've shot around 500 rounds of the Gemtech subs both suppressed and unsuppress, IMO it's good ammo. I think for the longest time, people haven't been too caught up on the POI shifts of 22. Been eyeing Q's new 22 and besides keeping it light and quiet, accuracy is one of their strong points that they try to focus on.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In every rifle I've shot -- regardless of caliber -- a quality suppressor will either maintain original accuracy or slightly improve it. Point of impact shifts can occur, but again with quality cans this shift is repeatable.

Possible reasons for the deterioration in accuracy:
- The can is not mounted tightly.
- The can is not mounted and remounted consistently.
- Baffle strikes, which are probably the least likely thing that's occurring.
- The can isn't mounted squarely on the rifle.
- The ammo doesn't like the rifle/can combo. This is likely a long shot. I'm not impressed with Gemtech's accuracy, based on the limited amount I've shot, but it's definitely not that bad. However, try other brands of ammo.
- Take a look in the mirror. The trigger puller is often the root cause of accuracy issues. Have someone else shoot the rifle.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's a Huntertown Guardian. Nothing special, and probably on the low end of suppressors, but it works well enough with subsonic ammo. Regular ammo it cuts to maybe 50%.

I've been shooting 22s for at least 45 years and I've never expected them to be sub-MOA outside of 50M so I'm not too concerned about it at longer distances, but it just struck me as odd that I noticed this now that I have the suppressed TD.

I've always heard good things about the GemTech, so I'd guess it's not that. I thought that maybe it's the suppressor or the rifle or (most likely) me.

I'd just like to be able to hit an inch reliably within 25-50M. Maybe I just need to put a few thousand more rounds through it and practice up more. Bummer. Big Grin

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've always heard good things about the GemTech, so I'd guess it's not that. I thought that maybe it's the suppressor or the rifle or (most likely) me.

With rimfire, you just never know. More than once I've seen combinations of very nice rifles and very good ammunition that just wouldn't shoot worth a damn, even though that rifle is a tack driver with other good ammo and that ammo works great out of other rifles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing could happen with a specific rifle-suppressor-ammo combination where changing any one of the three gave great results.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
22lr rifles often take a bit ammo testing to figure out what works best. Some things to consider:

- How does your other 10/22 work with Gemtech ammo, both suppressed and unsuppressed?
- How does your TD work with the supersonic ammo that shoots well in your other 10/22?
I haven't shot a TD, so I don't know if the takedown capability reduces accuracy. I can guarantee it won't increase accuracy.

- Have you tried other brands of subsonic ammo in the both guns, both suppressed and unsuppressed. There's nothing magical about the "made for suppressor" marketing ploy from Gemtech. Any subsonic 22lr is really quite with a can. Shoot a good rifle with suppressed Eley/Lapua/RWS ammo and you get uber quiet plus uber accurate results.
- How do your optics compare between the TD and the other 10/22?
- How does your TD shoot without the can?

It's my understanding that Gemtech is made by CCI, which is reasonable given how CCI is such a giant in USA rimfire manufacturing. I suspect Gemtech's ammo is somewhat comparable to CCI Standard Velocity ammo -- maybe slightly more accurate. CCI Standard can be pretty darn accurate in many rifles out to 50 yards, however it tends to throw WTF flyers at any distance. IMO CCI Std is the introduction to better quality 22lr ammo, however the true match-quality ammo is head and shoulders better than CCI.

Because I shoot 10/22s infrequently, I can't really state what their accuracy potential is at 50 yards. But it's definitely better than 1-1/2" to 2". With quality glass and a good shooter, definitely less than 1". With match-grade ammo that plays well with a given 10/22's chamber, with good glass, and with a good shooter, some (but not all) groups in the 1/2" ballpark may occur.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
It turned out to be the crown on a 10/22 last year.
I lathe turned the threads,crowned it with target crown.
Fliers all over the place,rechucked it and did it again,same results.
Did it again and put 11 degree on it,now its fantastic.
Can is a Specwar# spec 2 -2135

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post