SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Flash Hider or Muzzle Brake for better Suppression?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flash Hider or Muzzle Brake for better Suppression? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Or does it matter?
I have a Resonator K in lockup. It comes with one QD Muzzle Break. I have multiple rifles so I bought a couple more.
Well one arrived and it is the Flash Suppressor not the Muzzle brake.

Is there a difference between the two in sound suppression when used with the can?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
If bother are QD and inside the can when attached, I don’t see how either would make a difference. I’d prefer the FH; less headache when firing unsuppressed.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
All things equal, the brake is more effective. It does a better job at disrupting the flow of gasses forward by allowing expansion sideways where a flash hider is still mostly directed forward.

It's not substantial and you should still choose your muzzle device based on how the rifle will be used. But if it's staying suppressed 100%, a brake as a partial or sacrificial blast baffle will increase performance over a flash hider.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely agree that a brake taking some of the beating is a huge perk. I am hard pressed to shoot a gun without a can at all, but I sure as hell wouldn't with a brake, so it'd be as Rustpot said, in a 100% suppressed setup.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When shooting suppressed, the difference in sound levels using a brake over a FH is negligible. The main value of a brake is acting as a sacrificial baffle to increase the longevity of the suppressor. The flip side of a brake is when shooting unsuppressed, it makes the gun louder, more blast, and does nothing for flash. The individual decision is usually based on whether you intend to shoot the gun unsuppressed or not.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not studied this issue in any way because when I don't have a can on a gun I want a FH and not a brake. But when I was researching my Thunderbeast purchase I stumbled upon a good discussion on this issue in the product literature for their DOMINUS-K-SR suppressor.
My conclusion is that this sacrificial baffle benefit is completely irrelevant for any normal person and/or firing schedule.
In terms of suppression I have seen some tests that show measurable differences on surefire cans between the FH mounts and the brake mounts as the brakes alter the gas flow. I have never really cared about this issue as I'm using the FH mount in all cases and it doesn't suffer from the problem. Some research for your specific can/mount system may provide different guidance.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you see more of the sacrificial benefit on a short barrel. I had a AAC 51T brake on a 10" 5.56 in the past, and the brake took quite a beating. I'd assume that beating would be inflicted on the can a bit more, if the brake wasn't there.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sounds good.
The brakes will go on the guns that will likely not be shot unsuppressed and the FH on the gun that will see some unsuppressed.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post