SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Barrel thread longer than can thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel thread longer than can thread Login/Join 
posted
I just bought a Christensen Ranger 22 & have a Rugged oculus. The carbon fiber barrel has a tensioning nut that uses the 1/2-28 thread & leaves it longer vs the other .22 guns I have.

The CF barrel has 0.625" thread length.
The suppressor has 0.500" thread length. The 1st baffle sits away from the threads, so the can will actually seat on the shoulder & the muzzle will not touch the baffle stack, but I assume there is a gap for a reason.
My other threaded barrels range from 0.400-0.445" in thread length.

I think my options are:
Shims - PITA - need multiple, might mess up alignment & will not match outer diameter of barrel or suppressor, which will look dumb.
Cut down thread protector to ~0.25". It has a full-length thread protector that matches the barrel nicely. Could cut that down to fill the gap. Negatives, $$$ will need a 2nd TP
Cut down barrel & recrown, cut down TP to match. $$$ (maybe $$$$)

Cutting on a rifle I haven't even shot yet doesn't excite me, nor does dealing with multiple thread protectors/spacers. Shims would be OK short term, but I'll get annoyed real quick.

Going to reach out to CA & Rugged to see if they have suggestions I haven't thought of - anybody else solve this problem already?

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a common issue with .22 barrel threads on rifles, since many of them have a .625 thread length like 5.56 rifles, while most suppressors are designed for the .400 shorter thread length commonly found on .22 pistols. A number of companies make spacers specifically for using short thread .22 suppressors on long thread .22 barrels.

https://silencerco.com/shop/de...rifle-spacer-1-2-28/

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
duh. Saw Gemtech made one, but it was out of stock. Rugged didn't have one on their website and I didn't think to look at any other MFGs.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
This is a common issue with .22 barrel threads on rifles, since many of them have a .625 thread length like 5.56 rifles, while most suppressors are designed for the .400 shorter thread length commonly found on .22 pistols. A number of companies make spacers specifically for using short thread .22 suppressors on long thread .22 barrels.

https://silencerco.com/shop/de...rifle-spacer-1-2-28/

It still amazes me that so many companies that should know better just default to the 5.56 specs on rimfire guns.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the type that have flats for easier removal...

https://www.joeboboutfitters.c...cers-p/gem-12212.htm

Posts: 132 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit lost on why one would ever remove it?
I permanently mount mine as its not like there is going to be a .625 suppressor that you would use.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post