SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Early GWOT silencers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early GWOT silencers Login/Join 
posted
Anyone know what cans the military was using in the early 2000s? I have read KAC, SF, AAC, Ops Inc, and Gemtech. Anyone know of others? Anyone know specific models? Best I can figure...

KAC NT4 (or similar gate-latch)
SF RC
AAC M4-2000
Gemtech Halo
I am not really familiar with Ops Inc models

I am curious about carbine silencers, not whatever may have been used on precision or DMR guns.

I read an article in a recent G&A that was touting SF as being very good, compared to other silencers being used at the time. I am curious what those others may have been.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
I think most popular models are already in your list. As for the Ops Inc models, their "Model 12" (now being sold as the AEM5) appeared to be used in limited numbers of a RECCE rifle configurations with a 15.1" barrel. Photos and a parts list can be seen here:
https://clonerifles.com/seal-recce/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chino101,

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chino more or less confirmed my list of suspects.

One thing the article cited was the POI shift being something between 3 and 6 inches at 100 meters with the non-SF silencer the author used at the time. That seems crazy to me, even then. I wonder if POI shift on military-issue weapons at the time was more the fault of weapon muzzle shoulders and threads, than the cans themselves. But, he did go on to say that POI problems were non-existent with SF cans, so that kind of debunks that theory. Maybe they were using HALO or gate-latch cans without taking the crush washer out, and then mounted the SF devices properly, when they got those cans? Anyone else have any speculations? The author of the article is Tom Beckstrand. I know the dude knows what he's talking about, but I can't help but wonder if there was some unique circumstance that created the issues he saw.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chino101:
I think most popular models are already in your list. As for the Ops Inc models, their "Model 12" (now being sold as the AEM5) appeared to be used in limited numbers of a RECCE rifle configurations with a 15.1" barrel. Photos and a parts list can be seen here:
https://www.clonerifles.com/theclones/seal-recce

Also used on mk12 mod0, mod1 and modh

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
Also used on mk12 mod0, mod1 and modh

If you have intimate knowledge on silencers of the era, can you confirm or deny any of the other silencers used, or the speculated performance issues?