SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    What off the shelf complete AR to suppress
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What off the shelf complete AR to suppress Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, most of my shooting suppressed has been at an indoor range, renting their stuff. On the last trip, I had a guy next to me with a short AR that was unsuppressed vs the Mk18 and Surefire RC2 I was shooting. The difference was amazing. His muzzle blast was fairly punishing, even through the separator/baffle. The suppressed Mk18 was nothing in comparison.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you really want quiet, go with

The OP asked about 5.56 rifles. If you want really quiet there are many choices and many better than .300BO or 9mm. But that's totally irrelevant.
Back to the OP. Get a Colt 6933 or the same made by someone else of equal quality. Add a surefire RC2 (my favorite) or the equivalent made by someone reputable. Shoot it and be happy.
Don't like the amount of gas you get add a couple of changes as suggested and be totally happy. Shoot tens of thousands of rounds and ride off into the sunset...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
The OP also said this, i.e., "inside a residence" and "overall quietness":
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Ugh... I didn't think there was so much involved. This would be a solely 5.56 rifle. I honestly have no clue what my ranking of features.

I would like an 11.5 barrel. It would be nice to keep the weight down and this rifle has a 50/50 chance to be shot inside a residence. I'm not sure if that means I want less noise at the muzzle or just overall quietness.

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
If you really want quiet, go with

The OP asked about 5.56 rifles.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6045 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't exactly follow your point. your saying that the OP wasn't asking about a 5.56 caliber gun? When he said "solely be a 5.56 gun"? I get that your point is that other calibers may be quieter and maybe the OP should check out some options. But that's a whole different topic than the OP started on.

posted Hide Post
Colt, SOLGW, or Geissele upper (16" for no stamp, 11.5" or 12.5" for a stamp), Dead Air Sandman-S or Nomad-30. Done.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems very difficult for me to let any recommendation for dead air products stand without pointing out the huge mess they are currently having and what is apparently very poor customer support. I own a bunch of their stuff bought long ago and its fine but lots of people are not in that position on the newer models.

posted Hide Post
I went with a PWS Mk111 Pro upper on an Aero Precision lower. Long stroke piston with 3 position AGB on an 11.85” barrel.

https://www.primaryweapons.com/mk111-pro-upper/

No gas in the face with my Recce 5 Mod 3. Even better after upgrading the can to the Eco-flow baffles in the Mod 4. Also good with the lightweight Gen 2 Explorr 224.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
Dead Air Sandman-S

I'm with Jon on this. Dead Air is a major nope right now.

Maybe it's time for an actual thread on this since people don't seem to be aware what's going on. I'll start pulling together examples of destroyed Sandman and Sierra 5's.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My plan is suppress my current got to AR which is an 11.5 Daniel Defense on a BCM lower. I got a YHM Turbo 3 on order. I’m going to see how the gun shoot and possibly add a bootlegger BCG to help tune the gas

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the same thing because I don't have a YHM Turbo3, but my DD 11.5 runs fine with a buffer change and a charging handle replacement.
Me personally I'd probably do the gas tube before I did the BCG.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Me personally I'd probably do the gas tube before I did the BCG.
Something like a BRT gas tube is a very good way to tune. gpbst3 may be looking for more of a "drop-in" solution, in which case parts like the BCG, a buffer, charging handle, and/or a spring would be preferred. I don't know how DD gasses their barrels; hrcjon's buffer and charging handle solution may be all that's needed. As an example: I do use a Bootleg carrier; but in my current rifle, it is only adjusted one position away from full gas. The Noveske barrel is ported nicely, and doesn't require a different tube or much carrier venting. I do have an H3 buffer and Sprinco red spring. It would be fine with a normal carrier, but it doesn't hurt my feelings to vent a bit, and have the ability to turn it up if I want.

Posts: 2156 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In an effort to get back to the OP, I did a brief internet search. I saw Sionics mentioned more than a couple times; I also saw PWS mentioned multiple times. I understand why someone would be hesitant to commit to an "unconventional" gun like the PWS. The Sionics trick is they sell each of their rifles with three different gas port options; whether these are all "off the shelf" (in stock) rifles, or built to order, I don't know. It seems the "off the shelf" silencer-oriented AR is not as easy to come by as it ought to be. Perhaps the market isn't really there, considering the majority of folks in that demographic will build their own.

Posts: 2156 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post