SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Osprey 2.0 or Omega 45K
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Osprey 2.0 or Omega 45K Login/Join 
posted
Trying to decide which one to get. Have a Diplomat II from TROS and it’s fine but wanting something newer and shorter.

Host will be USP45T and HK45C. Use is general plinking as well as around the ranch while hog hunting. Down the road I may use it on a Bazooka Bro’s AR (45 cal) but that’s a project on the back burner…

Prices are basically the same. I do like the Osprey doesn’t require taller sites as one host has standard - other is a tactical

What say y’all? Which and why?

Question:
Which one should I buy?

Choices:
Osprey 2.0
Omega 45K

Posts: 10 | Registered: February 06, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This'll likely boil down to a battle of aesthetic preferences. I hate the look of the Osprey. The factory sights on my MK25 are obscured by my Tirant9; it's not a big deal. The offset bore is cool, and SiCo wasn't the first to use it; I just think they should have kept it in a cylindrical body.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As KSGM notes it’s mostly going to be aesthetic, but if you plan to ever use it on a rifle I’d go with the Omega due to being cylindrical, the Osprey just looks weird on rifles.

That said I love the look of the eccentric bore on the Osprey when mounted on a pistol. I have several cans and can shoot through them with standard sights just fine. But the look of the Osprey is just cool (to me).

Think you’ll be good either way you go.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Put me SOLIDLY in the camp that likes the look of the Osprey...Especially on an HK USP! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first can I bought is an Osprey Gen 1 in 9mm and it’s still my go to can for 9mm pistols. I prefer the low height and flat side profile that makes it easier to see if the can starts rotating over a bigger round can.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starting to lean Osprey as it could go on the regular sighted HK and the diplomat II on the Tactical. Later, if that AR45 ever gets finished I could get the Omega.

By then, maybe the Great state of Texas will win that lawsuit against the NFA and these sound mufflers will be over the counter purchases, hehe….

posted Hide Post
I was in this same boat a year ago and ended up going with the Hybrid 46M. It’s all about what works best for you. I will say that Osprey is a sweet can!

Posts: 129 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
The Osprey is likely to be quieter if it matters.

Some decisions like this come down to what is in stock locally when you have the cash.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
The Osprey is likely to be quieter if it matters.

Some decisions like this come down to what is in stock locally when you have the cash.

That is what happened to me a couple of months back. I was pretty much set in my mind on ordering an Osprey but my local "enabler" had an Omega 45 in stock and shot me a price I could not pass up. Either way I have to wait for the stamp to arrive but as a little surprise, Silencer Co was giving a $200 credit towards accessories for the Omega so great bonus for me. This will help cover adapters that I needed to purchase anyway.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2869 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for curiosity (I'm with KSGM) how does one time the osprey? I've never found anything that threaded to the same place on different guns?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Just for curiosity (I'm with KSGM) how does one time the osprey? I've never found anything that threaded to the same place on different guns?

The Osprey body can rotate relative to the piston and has a locking lever (original) or button (2.0) that you use to set the final position. You screw the Osprey on like a normal can, then when it stops, you release the lever or push the button, rotate the body to the correct orientation, and then engage the lever or release the button to lock the body to the piston.

The Osprey is then set for that gun. If you take it off and put it back on, you don’t have to reset the position. For a different gun, you’ll have to reset it for that gun. It’s pretty easy.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. It is like a friction stop or indexed on something solid so it has a limited number of options?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Thanks for that. It is like a friction stop or indexed on something solid so it has a limited number of options?

On my Gen 1, and I assume the 2.0 is similar, a pawl on the locking lever engages a toothed ring to lock it in place. The spacing between the teeth is pretty fine, so there isn’t any trouble getting the exact alignment you want.

posted Hide Post
Is the t8 ing ever off due to the teeth not being fine enough? I remember ACC starting with 18T, then 51T and then 90T because the can wouldn’t quite be tight enough and a bit of play between the tooth it would grab and not quite make the next tooth. Some complained or maybe even theorized the POI would shift as a result.

Anyway, does it time good enough it’s not out of square with the pistol slide?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdaKlamath:
Is the timing ever off due to the teeth not being fine enough? I remember ACC starting with 18T, then 51T and then 90T because the can wouldn’t quite be tight enough and a bit of play between the tooth it would grab and not quite make the next tooth. Some complained or maybe even theorized the POI would shift as a result.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdaKlamath:
Is the t8 ing ever off due to the teeth not being fine enough? I remember ACC starting with 18T, then 51T and then 90T because the can wouldn’t quite be tight enough and a bit of play between the tooth it would grab and not quite make the next tooth. Some complained or maybe even theorized the POI would shift as a result.

I’ve never had any issue with not being to align my Osprey with the slide, or having any play in the rotation when locked. Mind you, I’ve never gotten out a series of lasers to make sure the sides of the can and slide are aligned to within 0.00001 mm, but they look aligned to my Mk.1 calibrated eyeball.