SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    shot timers for suppressed rifles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shot timers for suppressed rifles Login/Join 
posted
Anyone use a shot timer that reliably picks-up shots out of a suppressed AR15 outdoors, while being worn by the shooter? I have a Pact Club III, and it won't pick up ARs. It'll pick up something like a Sig 55X rifle, because that operating system contributes more racket, but a DI AR doesn't register.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My Competition Electronics permits increasing the sensitivity and when I turn it all the way up, it usually picks up shots with my TBAC 30P-1 suppressor when firing a 308 bolt action. I normally have the timer positioned near my belt when shooting from a tripod. It seems to me that ARs are louder even with suppressors.

https://competitionelectronics.com/products/protimer

Kestrel just released their shot timer, and not only can the sensitivity be set manually, it has a “suppressed” setting. They also claim it will pick up dry firing. I haven’t tested it that way or with suppressor, though.

Its obvious disadvantage as compared with the CE is its price: nearly double (or more).

https://kestrelballistics.com/...dM8fj6hoC5_UQAvD_BwE

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! The thing my googling turned-up was a wrist-worn timer; I didn't like the looks of it. That CE looks like it'll be the ticket.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a CED 7000, and it has no issues on anything suppressed (centerfire). It may have no issues on rimfire suppressed but I actually haven't tested that so don't want to over promise.
Edited to add, I generally use it on a clip on my chest so its in front of me and probably in the best possible place for a suppressed gun since ejection port noise is a material component of the total noise.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the CE Protimer. I had to peg-out the sensitivity, but it does reliably pick up the shots.