SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    What is your best-performing suppressed 5.56mm weapon?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your best-performing suppressed 5.56mm weapon? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have even heard tell of people shying away from suppressing the SCAR due to some stipulations in FN's warranty

All that silly construction stuff above reminds me of how simple it is to tune a SCAR. easily adjustable gas jet size and a switch to reduce gas further if needed.
In any case FN has pretty much the same warranty as everyone else. They consider a suppressor an add on and if its the source of your issue its on you. As I would exactly expect any supplier to take the exact same approach. Now given that they have fully changeable gas jets and a suppressor setting on the gun, it would have to be pretty darn certain what caused the issue to get by basic federal warranty law, but OK. The above immediate discussion makes me feel on top of the world.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that other guns are easier to adapt to a suppressor. The Sig 553, for example, is just a valve swap, and they run quite well with a can. One thing I have run into with the Sigs, as compared to a tuned AR, is the vent holes in the gas tube are interfered-with in different ways, depending on the handguard you're using. In my case, I couldn't use a quad-rail handguard, as it deflected the vented gasses in a way that sent them into my face. Another thing on the 553, is the lack of simple recoil spring or reciprocating mas adjustment; there is no way to attempt to delay the action's rearward movement, in an effort to mitigate the bore exhausting into the receiver. Long-story-short, it's a simple one-part swap to resolve the majority of silencer-related negative effects, but you don't have the option to attempt a finer tuning.

Enter short-stroke guns. The SCAR doesn't suffer from the gas tube vent phenomenon, which makes it that much easier. I assembled a gun with a Superlative Arms piston system, but have yet to tinker with it enough to have a full understanding of it's suppressed performance; only initial impressions. My next short-stroke project is a G36. It puzzles me sometimes, that the DI system prevails, even when there are quality short-stroke guns in the AR platform (HK, LMT, LWRC). But, here I am, enamored with a recent DI build of my own, and curious about other folks DI tunings.

I don't think I'll ever have another SCAR, but had I known then what I do now, I would have kept it, cut-down the barrel, pin/welded a Griffin direct-thread, and tinkered with gas jets.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big thread drift. What's your G36 plan. I've been considering heading down that path as a 2022 project though it seems getting the needed parts at the moment is getting much more difficult.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no real G36 plan. I got a G36C kit (HK; not a copy kit) and a Tommybuilt TG36 receiver. This isn't so much of a thread drift as you might think, as I intend to tinker with the gun, for use with a can. I initially got a thread adapter, to get a 1/2-28 at the muzzle. Had to modify it quite a bit, and ended up with concentricity issues when it was all said and done. There's not enough barrel on the C to thread it and have the back of the silencer clear the exhaust portion of the gas block, so now I intend to get a K barrel, cut it down as close to the gas block as I can, and retain the C handguard. That'll give me the 1/2-28 I need, and clear the gas block. I intend to use an OSS silencer, and I'm hoping that, combined with the chopped K barrel, will give me a very smooth, reliable, and clean gun. Who knows though. I'll certainly update, perhaps in a dedicated thread. Another issue for me is the top rail. It's a very subjective, superficial thing, but I am not down with the top rail and the silencer, aesthetically. I have always LOVED the profile of the C, but I love silencers more, and the silencer kills the classic profile, and looks friggen goofy to boot. So I am going the KAC route on top. Got a rear rail/sight portion, and have been hunting a front. The front is proving near-impossible to find, and I'll likely have to give a limb for it when I find one. I have brainstormed alternatives, but none of them have clicked just yet. Anyway... I think the project has potential; the gun is very light and comfortable, which is a welcome aspect, when compared to other not-ARs, and the gas system should play nice with the OSS.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simplicity in nature, this has gone through some
changes in barrel, handguard, and nothing extravagant. I built the suppressor with help of Rusty in TX. Never an issue with this gun, except being a lefty I get a little more of the taste of burnt gunpowder, Smile
But it is my go to rifle suppressed. Geissele trigger, buffer and spring, BCM barrel, and just plain AERO lower. Not a fan of the magnifier except at >200 yards

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 263 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like that gun, greg. What is the gas system length? Any special attention paid to gas port or other silencer-specific attributes? Is it a .30 caliber silencer? Certainly looks to be a high-volume can, either way. How does it perform at a rapid firing cadence, gas-wise?

posted Hide Post
My two best-performing setups right now consist of the following:

Gemtech Trek-T direct-thread always attached.
16" WW M4 barrel cut down to 10".
Presumably a ~.070" gas port.
Non-adjustable block and regular gas tube.
Regular BCG with .090" vent behind gas rings.
Carbine buffer and spring.
PRI gas buster charging handle.
Shooting M193 almost exclusively.

AAC 762SDN6
10.5" Ballistic Advantage barrel.
Superlative Arms adjustable short-stroke piston system.
Adjusted to position 32, which puts it 12 clicks into the 28-click vented spectrum.
SA piston bolt carrier with a bolt of unknown origin.
H2 buffer and regular carbine spring.
Gas port and CH (mostly) irrelevant in adj short-stroke system.
Shooting M193 almost exclusively.