SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    So out of the handful of dedicated 5.56 suppressors my dealer has
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
So out of the handful of dedicated 5.56 suppressors my dealer has Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
The YHM Turbo K. I searched here and see several members have and seem to like. I am a big Yhm fan of their suppressors I already own.

Then there is the Otter Creek Polonium 556 and the polonium K. They are competitively priced near the Yhm Turbo K. Are they significantly better than the YHM Turbo K. Guessing so. How about the Polonium models?

As smudge wants to remind us that it is old tech and all the new 3d printed cans are soooooo much better. But I am not paying a huge premium for that so much better. Is there another can I should consider in the $500+ range or is the Turbo K or polonium's gtg. Thanks guys.

Watched a few vids on the Turbo k and seems ok, not great. But not bad either, hmmmm.

Polonium's seem really good? guessing why they are wildly popular, especially at that price point.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21972 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Well, it’s a high back pressure suppressor, even the newer so-called RB version, and doesn’t sound that good. But it’s relatively cheap, so there’s that.
 
Posts: 4009 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The price should be much better than $500. YHM shows it as a legacy can. The shop should price it well below any other can--it's definitely older technology, but proven. The Turbo is a sold inconel can that with stand up to any abuse.
Pro: should be at bargain basement price ($250)
Con: heavy, shorter can
 
Posts: 2511 | Location: CT River Valley | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You are not going to see that can for $250, Maybe a smidge under $500 but that is about it.

The Polonium's are in that $500 range too.



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21972 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Oh for fuck's sake.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
As smudge wants to remind us that it is old tech and all the new 3d printed cans are soooooo much better.


Well, it's the truth. Razz

I went ahead and responded to your post in Black's thread before I saw this one, but I'll just go ahead and copy and paste it here as well.

You are for sure at least the second and possibly the third forum member in the last month to take my criticisms of a suppressor you happen own as some sort of personal judgement when it's nothing of the like. I don't think I even went that far, it has truly been "there is far better stuff available today," and that is just objectively true. I understand that as humans, we do this, and normally it is something I'd avoid doing exactly because of how people often take it, but right now there are people coming out of the woodwork to buy their first suppressors and they are reading and taking suggestions of guys who haven't looked at anything new since Donald Trump came down the escalator. The Surefire RC2, Omega 300 & 9K, Rugged Obsidian, and Dead Air Mask still get suggested with shocking frequency and those cans all hit the market in 2015. It is 2026. So much has changed. If you bought any of those a decade and more ago and they've been working for you this whole time, they will continue to work - they're not like cellphones where the company uses some voodoo to make them turn into dogshit over time. If you buy one now, they'll still do what they have done for people since 2015. However, there absolutely are better choices on the market today vs any and all of those, and I stand by that, and guys new to the suppressor game need to hear it. Where they come down on what's important to them after that is their decision, but I think my holding my tongue to avoid stepping on some toes is a disservice to guys who might otherwise make a completely different decision. Fair?

IF your budget is YHM or OCL, it's a fantastic time be alive because they and many others in that chunk of the market now have a long track record and are proven companies with proven products. That said, there is a "latest and greatest" and some people are interested in that. There are guys who would budget 50-100% more on a suppressor if it weighed 60% less, was half as long, wouldn't blow gas in their face and all that while being quieter. We need to be careful not to conflate "just as good" with "good enough" in our discussions on these things, because one of those is a subjective statement nobody can really argue with, and the other can be objectively incorrect no matter how you try to qualify it. While you didn't say "just as good" in exactly those words, that's the assertion I pounced on, because it just isn't true. "Good enough?" Well, for many, abso-fucking-lutely.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
But I am not paying for that so much better.


Then don't. As I've also reminded you guys and will do so yet again, there are great options at all price points. If you want to put your feelings away, I'm perfectly willing to have a helpful, objective discussion to try to steer you to your best option.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Is there another can I should consider in the $500+ range or is the Turbo K gtg. Thanks guys.

Watched a few vids on the Turbok and seems ok, not great. But not bad either, hmmmm.

Polonium?


Right, so what is important to you? Overall db reduction? Then it's the Polonium. Length? Then it's between the two K cans which are basically identical in length, but the YHM is a little lighter than the Polo K, but the Polo K is quieter than the Turbo K.

PREPARE TO SHIT YOURSELF: I own a Polonium. It's the only legacy can I kept from my cleanout earlier this year, and I just couldn't bear to part with it. Yes, it's heavy. Yes, it's gassy. Yes, it has been retired to the back of the safe. But also, it has taken seriously heavy use and abuse, I've never had an issue with it, and I know that I could blow the thing up doing something utterly stupid and OCL will rebuild it for me, no questions asked. I've personally met and talked with Andrew (the owner) several times, I'll see him in a few weeks. He's one of the truly nicest people I've ever met, and I will happily send business his way any time. YHM? Yes, they're a quality manufacturer, but too many times, I've seen complaints about them dragging their feet on warranty work, or worse, making the customer pay for a repair because they used a mount or muzzle device that wasn't YHM. Fuck that, Andrew and his family are far better to deal with.

If you think you're going to ever put this can on a 5.56 under 14"ish, then get the full size Polonium. If it's going to live on rifles with 16" barrels and longer, get the K. That's Andrew's recommendation, and it's also mine after owning one and getting to compare it with several other friend's full size Poloniums and K's on various hosts and comparing them both as the shooter and the bystander.

Take note: I took no jabs at you.

*Edit - I even went looking for the best current price for you. You missed out on one for $440 yesterday, but here's one for $470, add to cart price. I bought a can from these guys a couple months ago, they're good to go.

https://notjustguns.com/produc...l-polonium-k-556nato


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19302 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Smudge, you are full of jabs, that is just you Wink



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21972 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm abrasive, there's no two ways about it, but believe me when I tell you none of my replies to you in this thread or the other have had any hostility or heat behind them. Smile

Something I forgot to consider: If you're already into a number of YHM muzzle devices and mounts, it may just be best to stick with them. You asked about Plan B recently, and my love of that interface and OCL notwithstanding, that is an added cost to switch everything over. If cost is one of the bigger metrics, then having everything be YHM saves you some money and allows you some flexibility in moving cans around if you were of a mind to. I do think having a dedicated 5.56 can is worth it, regardless. Looks like the Turbo K-RB comes with the muzzle device and the mount, which is nice. The Polonium only comes with a direct thread adapter, unless something has changed recently. Not a big deal if it's going to live on one rifle, but still.

What all kinds of rifles are you looking to put this suppressor on? If you can give us some more parameters here, I think we can steer you to something you'll be really happy with.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19302 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Are we talking Turbo K or Turbo K-RB here? There’s no reason that the old Turbo K should still be $500.
 
Posts: 4009 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It is the RB version (reduced blow back) design. Thanks for asking about that. It prompted me to search out the difference.
Now your and Sigfourme's comments make sense.



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21972 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks smudge, my dealer charges a $50 fee if I have one shipped to him. His prices are pretty good. The Polonium and K version are basically the same price and are in the same ball park as the $470 you posted.
Do you think the Turbo k RB will be less gassy than the poloniums? If so I would probably go that route even if not quite as quiet.

The guy on the NFA Review channel did a pretty thorough test on the Turbo K RB and it performed very well on two different rifles. He was impressed with all aspects of it.



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21972 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks smudge, my dealer charges a $50 fee if I have one shipped to him. His prices are pretty good.


Yeah, that's a pretty standard NFA transfer fee. There's a shop I stopped dealing with that charges $125, and the cheapest I think I've ever seen is $25 locally, so $50 isn't bad at all.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The Polonium and K version are basically the same price and are in the same ball park as the $470 you posted.
Do you think the Turbo k RB will be less gassy than the poloniums? If so I would probably go that route even if not quite as quiet.


I'm not familiar with how YHM did their baffle revision for the RB series, and what I saw when I looked for it was just pictures of the blast baffle. If it's anything like how Griffin did their Eco Flow baffle revision several years ago, then it may well be lower backpressure than the Polonium of either size. My Griffin Explorr was noticeably less gassy than my Polonium. Definitely not as quiet, but it was obvious how much easier it was on whatever host I put it on. Without tuning, the full size Polonium will beat up a semi auto rifle - I have a charging handle that the gas key started to peen the inside rear of because apparently the spring and buffer combo I was using just wasn't enough. It's one reason I retired that can. Probably eventually will do a bolt action 5.56 for it to live on. Anyways, once I discovered that, I started using the Griffin pretty much exclusively until I was able to get an Ekron.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The guy on the NFA Review channel did a pretty thorough test on the Turbo K RB and it performed very well on two different rifles. He was impressed with all aspects of it.


I went back and forth on whether to say this, but I do think it's worth pointing out that his video review on this can was posted seven years ago. If your YHM cans predate their RB baffle revision, and I'm guessing they do, then this will still be an upgrade for you, so to speak. I say that in the interests of tempering your expectations. Impressive seven years ago is still a lot better than shooting unsuppressed, and you'll be probably nearly as quiet or maybe even more so than you will be versus using your .30 cal can on 5.56, all while shaving some weight and length.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19302 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I think OCL Polo has it over YHM (I've demoed both). IMHO the Polo is still decent on sound compared to the new printed suppressors. If you are shooting a bolt gun or a few rounds at a time on an AR the Polo works great. On the Pew Science tests the Polo is still hanging tough at #12 out of 70 suppressors tested on a 10.3" AR15 barrel.

The budget traditional baffle suppressors like the Polo hold do start to fall apart if you factor in gas blowback, if you shoot even a short string of rounds on an AR. To fix that many people blow up their budget buying a new charging handle, adjustable gas block, heavier buffer, buffer spring, and as last resort a downward venting bolt carrier group. If you start with a modern low back pressure can and an H2 buffer you can skip swapping all those other parts. If you want to send a bunch of rounds down range, I think in 2026 it's a better play to start with a Canik Void 556 (an improved Polo) or even better get a modern (post 2023 design) printed low back pressure can.

I just picked up an OCL Infinity 556k and now have 4 dedicated 556 cans, will give a comparison report when I get some more time on them.




"The left can't applaud me because their hands are in other people's pockets." - Javier Milei
 
Posts: 2476 | Location: Texan on the north side of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ok, I have a variety of .223 semi's that this can purchase could be used on from 10.5 to 16". I do not want to mess with different buffers, springs or anything else either. Just shoot and go. Gassy is an issue but not going to be shooting 100's of rounds at a time. I don't what to spen more than $550 max. So now I am scratching my head on this 5.56 can.
As I recall shooting my .30 full size Resonator it was very quite and not gassy. The Resonator K was more gassy not as quite. Have not got a chance to try the Poloniun .30 cal yet. I suspect it will be similar to the full size Resonator. Size and weight are not really a big factor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21972 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Given the bulk of your criteria, I would eliminate the full size Polonium and either get the K, or better yet, the Polo .30. That's per a number of recommendations I've seen Andrew make on Reddit talking with guys trying to decide between the three based on the gas criteria and migrating between hosts without having to tune the gun. The .30 is going to be the least gassy of the three, and if you don't care about size and weight, then those are the only reasons to go with the K over the .30.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19302 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Given the bulk of your criteria, I would eliminate the full size Polonium and either get the K, or better yet, the Polo .30. That's per a number of recommendations I've seen Andrew make on Reddit talking with guys trying to decide between the three based on the gas criteria and migrating between hosts without having to tune the gun. The .30 is going to be the least gassy of the three, and if you don't care about size and weight, then those are the only reasons to go with the K over the .30.


Thanks, I am set then. I am going to look over the Turbo K RB though. Thinking it might be the best of these bugget K cans that he has.



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21972 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you are suppressing ARs I just got one of these Breek Warhammer charging handles that direct gas to the side.
https://breekarms.com/products...handle-by-breek-arms

I was quite impressed with it when using my YHM Resonator K.


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26975 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    So out of the handful of dedicated 5.56 suppressors my dealer has

© SIGforum 2026