SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    When to clean a .22 suppressor?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When to clean a .22 suppressor? Login/Join 
posted
I have 2, AAC Pilot2 and Dead Air Mask.
Who counts .22 rounds?
How do I know if it Needs cleaning or should I just do it on time?

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of George from Alaska
posted Hide Post
I clean every 500-1,000 depending if I use ablatives or not...they will make more of a mess and possibly reduce efficiency so i clean more often if i use RemOil or spray lithium foamy grease.
Also, cleaning makes disassembly easier for the next time if you shoot a lot. I have a pallet of .22s so I'm shooting a lot of that lately and hoarding my 5.56, 9mm, .45, etc.
When reassembling the suppressory you mentioned, I like to use a thin coat of Seal 1 grease or Frog grease. It seems to me, and in the literature, to reduce the amount of debris that accumulates on baffles and end caps.

Posts: 76 | Registered: August 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’m probably about the same with 500-1000 between cleanings. I clean mine using a soda blaster which makes easy work of clearing the crud. The baffles come out looking brand new. I usually wait until I have more than one ready to clean to make use of the time involved setting up the blaster.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Soda blasting was first used in the early 1980s in the restoration of the Statue of Liberty. Traditional sand blasting was not viable for several reasons. The interior of the Statue is coated with multiple coats of paint and coal tar, while the exterior is plates of relatively thin copper plates. The interior passageways of the Statue of Liberty are rather narrow, which means ventilation of the dust caused by abrasive blasting would have been problematic.

The solution was to use sodium bicarbonate as an abrasive media. This prevented damage to the thin copper veneer.
Since then, soda blasting has been used for a variety of applications by media blasting companies who converted from traditional abrasive blasting to soda blasting.

https://www.raptorblaster.com/soda-blasting/

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
This technique of rimfire suppressor cleaning was written by a shooter before he became head of Anschutz

https://web.archive.org/web/20...lencer-cleaning.html North America

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I tend to follow that archived suppressor cleaning recommendations.
My deviations: I place a strainer over my silicon oil container and remove the excess oil back into my container.
I coat the 1st baffle with antiseize (automotive) to ensure easier cleaning.
Antiseize is applied to all threads, contact surfaces --tube within a tube of the Axoim.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of George from Alaska
posted Hide Post
I like antiseize too but found that copper high temp can cause some gaskets to swell and/or break so switched to nickle. It's high temp also and won't attack gaskets.

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02

Posts: 76 | Registered: August 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just use the dip, cleans like brand new overnight. Then i take the liquid to local haz mat center.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So the dip just dissolves everything, no brushing or scraping?

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, none what so ever. I usually soak over night, then soak in soapy hot water for 5 to 10 minutes, rinse, lube and put back together.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
So the dip just dissolves everything, no brushing or scraping?

Yes, but you end up with lead acetate and have to handle the solution very carefully. It requires proper hazmat disposal, usually through your local municipality waste disposal program. Really educate yourself before you go this route.

The upside is you have a very clean suppressor.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
Yes, none what so ever. I usually soak over night, then soak in soapy hot water for 5 to 10 minutes, rinse, lube and put back together.

So what exactly is the formula of your dip?

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
"The Dip" is a mix of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and distilled white vinegar.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just Google silencers and the dip and you will find everything you need

quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:

So what exactly is the formula of your dip?

NRA Life Member

secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried Mil-Comm Suppressor X Cleaning Solvent?

https://mil-comm.com/product/s...eaner-7-ounce-spray/

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All it says is dissolves carbon. Hoppes does that.The big problem, at least with 22 cans, is the lead.

But I now wonder what the military guys use on theirs?

I am giving the dip a try. Mixed it up this morning and the parts seem to fizzing away in there. Will leave it overnight.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm going to guess they don't clean them, no real reason to on a centerfire rifle can. As you note it's the vaporized lead from rimfire rounds that causes the issues with rimfire cans. Not many of those being run in military units.

Complacency sucks…

posted Hide Post
About 1k then a Sonic cleaner with MP7 Pro fluid in it. Requires a little scrubbing, but it’s not hard. Coffee filter to strain the crap,out of the fluid and you can re use it. No haz mat issues.
Have to relube. I like Seal CLP, but that’s just me. Makes clean up fairly easy next 1k rounds

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are one of those sonic cleaners from Harbor Freight viable?
Doesn't it need to be water based?

posted Hide Post
quote:
All it says is dissolves carbon. Hoppes does that.The big problem, at least with 22 cans, is the lead.

I am giving the dip a try. Mixed it up this morning and the parts seem to fizzing away in there. Will leave it overnight.

How did the dip work out?

NRA Life Member