SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    When to clean a .22 suppressor?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When to clean a .22 suppressor? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just looked at. lots of black flakes, cloudy. Have a morning appointment so won't start the clean up until I'm back.
Still see some caked black lead on some. It was pretty nasty when I put it all in.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Success! Pulled them out and put them in a dish of hot soapy water. Rinsed again.
Lots of black but it wiped off with a rag! A little toothbrushing in the small areas and good as new. Lubed and will shoot it tomorrow.
Guy at the dump said they would take the jar with dip in it.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes life alot easier doesn't it? My dump takes it also, I just use sharpie and write on jar what it is. I will usually use solution 3 times before dumping

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't even think to save it.
Guessing it's a no go for aluminum baffles?
The pilot I just soaked in hoppes. After a day or 2, the lead was visible and I just scrapped it off.

posted Hide Post
Another one here for nickel anti-seize. And tumbling internal baffles in stainless pins

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t shot many rounds through my can. I have just recently gotten a Mark IV and have used my Obsidian 45 with it . Awesome combination. I cleaned it after just 60 rounds or so just to see how dirty it was compared to my 9mm and .45 pistols. .22s are dirty!
I used a 50/50 solution of Purple Power and water in an ultrasonic cleaner with heat for about an hour. This is the cleaning technique suggested in the Rugged Suppressor manual. I use a Harbor Freight cleaner. It worked like a charm, in my opinion. Of course, all aluminum parts such as the tube and end caps are cleaned with CLP or something that won’t etch aluminum ( no ammonia). The tube is wiped dry so no oil is inside.
This is probably more info than anyone wanted but maybe someone will benefit.

Posts: 72 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Welcome Bentoville.
Are you using a fixed barrel adapter for 22?
Because 22’s run dirty- better to have a dedicated 22 can.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a fixed barrel spacer that fits over the .22 piston. The Obsidian is easy to take apart and clean and is very quiet. For now it’s not possible for me to jump through all the hoops to get a dedicated .22 can.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Didn't even think to save it.
Guessing it's a no go for aluminum baffles?
The pilot I just soaked in hoppes. After a day or 2, the lead was visible and I just scrapped it off.

You can’t use “The Dip” with aluminum...it destroys the baffle.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a bit late to this party, but you may be interested in a little experiment I started pre-COVID. I fired 35,000 rounds through an ATEC CMM6 suppressor without cleaning. I did not even tap the suppressor on a hard surface.
It has picked up around 100g in mass, but still works great.

Here are the four articles documenting this experiment, on LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse...sor-part-1-bertolli/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse...sor-part-2-bertolli/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse...sor-part-3-bertolli/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse...sor-part-4-bertolli/

Hope you can see those without having to sign into LinkedIn.

If not, this link might work, but it includes all my articles and you have to scroll down:

https://www.linkedin.com/today...on-bertolli-b6500522

My club has 11 of those suppressors. All I do is blow air from a compressor through each one, then I take it apart and brush each baffle with a toothbrush. That's it, doesn't have to be squeaky clean.

Posts: 21 | Registered: January 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I use a sonic cleaner with 50/50 distilled and simple green. on high heat. works pretty well. still have to wipe a little off, but overall loosens the stuff pretty well.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly same as above with 9mm, 45, and .22. Harbor freight and Simple Green/Purple Power works fine.

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I’ve used CLR with good success on stainless baffles. Lots of info and videos online about it.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are one of those sonic cleaners from Harbor Freight viable?
Doesn't it need to be water based?

I use a Harbor Freight ultrasonic with a mix of Purple Power and water. No issues.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Are one of those sonic cleaners from Harbor Freight viable?
Doesn't it need to be water based?

I use a Harbor Freight ultrasonic with a mix of Purple Power and water. No issues.

Trying the same this evening. Mixed results so far but going to "let it ride" and see how it works out.

Posts: 140 | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post