SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Integrated suppressor upper?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Integrated suppressor upper? Login/Join 
posted
What do y’all think of integrated suppressors? I’m looking at the YHM Turbo at Silencer Shop specifically.https://www.silencershop.com/s...ssed-upper-5-56.html

I like that it is a short barrel (10.5) but pinned so you only need a stamp for the can. This would be a general plinking, home defense, maybe some hog hunting all purpose setup. I currently have an M400 rifle so I’d have 2 uppers to swap around. Cheers.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is integrally suppressed insofar as the silencer is permanently attached. The upper is not necessarily optimized. It is a conventional can with an adjustable gas block, as far as I can tell. I am not personally a fan of the fat handguard required to tuck the silencer under there either.

I am a fan of integral guns, as long as the folks put some thought into it. Maybe look into guns that were results of the SURG program, as they were required to make more efforts to create a symbiotic relationship between the gun and the can.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really feeling it for the price. Nearly $1100 for the integral upper vs. $500 for the can alone. I can get a decent upper for the $600 difference, plus have a can that I can use on more than one gun. I get that I’m saving $200 for not also having to get a SBR stamp, but you’re giving up a lot just to save that $200.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tax stamp savings should not be the motivation in pursuing an "integral" upper or rifle anyway. The objective should be a gun that functions better with a silencer than others.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They get unpleasantly lot. Like...dangerous to touch hot. This is already a concern with a suppressed 5.56 rifle, but it's FAR worse when part of the can is under the handguard. For my money, stick to a short barreled AR or pistol with "normal" suppressor. If that's not an option, go 14.5" pinned with a mini can (Turbo K, SOCOM Mini, etc).

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never shot one with the silencer under the handguard, but I can see where that would be a problem, in regards to heat. I have fired a suppressed 5.56 with an aiming laser mounted, and the laser got too hot to touch. So, potential damage to things like lasers and lights is another concern, in addition to your ability to merely handle the weapon being hindered.