SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Considering a DeadAir Nomad Ti 30 cal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering a DeadAir Nomad Ti 30 cal Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
Anyone have experience? I wanted a light/short one for my AUG and won’t be doing mag dumps, so I thought a titanium model would be good. I would pair it with a Xeno mount. All of the reviews I see are pretty positive.

Plus, I just got my NFA trust notarized.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the standard over the TI. I do have a sand man TI, and my form 1 is TI.

So, given that. unless weight savings is KEY, to your use. I would not bother.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
I have one. For a compact lightweight can with good suppression that will not be used for sustained fire, its the best of the .30 cal cans I have (AAC 762SD, AAC 762-SDN-6, Rugged Micro30, Nomad Ti and Nomad LT). The suppression matches my old 762SD and the Ti is 9 oz instead of 23 and nearly 3" shorter. On .300 blackout subs, I can't tell much difference between the Ti ad LT, but on a .308 or 7mm08 the extra volume of the LT does make a small difference in the level of suppression.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I have one on my 2A Armament 300 Blackout build and I love it. I had the key-mo mount on it at first, but felt it was adding un-needed weight and bulk. (The goal for the project was to be as light as possible.) I've gone to the direct thread and haven't turned back. It doesn't walk like some other thread cans do and doesn't even feel like it's there.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
Quick pic of the ones I have with me, for comparison. Top to bottom Nomad Ti, AAC 762-SDN-6, AAC 762SD, Rugged Micro30:

115 + 115 = 230

Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Uuuugh…now I really want it.

The weight issue is pretty important. I don’t want to screw up the sweet balance the AUG already has as a bullpup.

M4Super90: what do you think of that Xeno mount? I’ll probably have to go with 1/2x28 direct thread for a while if I can’t find one. I really like the Keymo mount, but it is heavy as hell.

I also like emailed CCR to ask if they can put a black finish on one, but they haven’t answered yet. Frown

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
Well the cool thing about the Deadair is if you don't like the mount, you have multiple options to change it. I have Keymo and Xeno.

If you leave the can on the rifle all the time, the treaded mount is preferred. If you need to retain a muzzle device and move the can around a lot, the Xeno is supposed to minimize point of impact shift. I haven't really noticed a huge shift with the Keymo mounts and they are much easier to move the can quickly to different rifles, but they are heavier. I tend to use the Ti cans way more just because they're so light, so I swap between rifles regularly.

You are correct the mount system plus muzzle device weight adds up quickly:

Keymo mount - 4.7 oz
Micro brake - 3.3 oz

Xeno mount - 1.9 oz
Xeno brake - 2.4 oz

Ti thread mount - 1.4 oz

I've been primarily using the Xeno mount because it almost shaves 4 oz off at the muzzle. My only complaint, and it's really more of a learning curve, is that I've used QD mounts forever and inevitably I turn the can counter clockwise to take it off and end up backing the can off the mount threads instead of the mount off the muzzle device threads. Using the supplied wrenches to tighten on/off because the Xeno and mount to can threads are in opposite directions has taken some getting use to.

115 + 115 = 230

posted Hide Post
Do it. Smile I'm waiting on my stamp, can't wait to get it on my rifle... My only regret is not doing it sooner!!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Uuuugh…now I really want it.

The weight issue is pretty important. I don’t want to screw up the sweet balance the AUG already has as a bullpup.

M4Super90: what do you think of that Xeno mount? I’ll probably have to go with 1/2x28 direct thread for a while if I can’t find one. I really like the Keymo mount, but it is heavy as hell.

I also like emailed CCR to ask if they can put a black finish on one, but they haven’t answered yet. Frown

Weight is not as big a thing for me. I like the nomad a lot. I have 8 guns I use it on, and so, I keep the keymo on all of them. It is quick and secure.

If you want lightweight, direct thread is a light weight option that is hard to beat.

Carbon lock might happen, but anti sieze can help with that. Xeno mount looks good, but I like the larger brakes of the nomad.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'm getting one from Silencer Shop for my MCX.

Found one at a local shop to handle and it's remarkable how light 9oz actually is, especially compared to any comparable can.

I'll be direct threading for the MCX, but, to be honest, I may well get a second one to run QD on other guns.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have one sitting in jail, but when I had the chance to compare one to a DA Sandman-S the difference in weight was huge.

If you're not running one on a very short barrel (and you aren't) and you don't plan on doing mag dumps it's really the best choice. I believe the owner of DA (Todd) has said the Nomad TI is his favorite can.

As for Xeno mounts, might be worth looking at if you plan on swapping between several rifles. Otherwise direct thread is probably the answer as it is the lightest option.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Anyone know an outfit that will color coat Ti? I know it can be anodized and PVD coated.

Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
I just submitted everything at my local Silencer Shop kiosk.

Let the wait commence.