SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Which .300 Blackout upper to suppress?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .300 Blackout upper to suppress? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I finally got my Omega .30 can and now I need to pair it with the perfect .300 Blackout upper.

I'm leaning towards a 8.5" barrel. I already have a rifle length rail that the Omega will slide right into. I'm not sure what gas system would be best.
This will be shot exclusively suppressed, 95% subsonic ammunition.

I did look at the Noveske barrel but it's hard to justify a $500 barrel if a $299 Palmetto State complete upper will do the job nearly as well.

What do you like?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have an Omega as well and I bought an 8.5" Hardened Arms and its been flawless so far. I could not justify the money for Noveske either. 300 blackout is a fun gun to me not a SHTF gun. If your 300 blackout will be SHTF then Noveske, BCM etc would be on my list.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have an aero precision. If your forend is BAR style they make an enhanced upper that it just screws on to as the barrel nut is built into the upper.
link
I have one on my SBR and it will cycle subs unsupressed

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I bought the $229 Palmetto State complete 8.5" upper during the 2015 Black Friday special deals and it works great. I do not compete with it, nor do I shoot it often, but it works every time. I pair it with a Thunder Beast 30P-1 and it runs sub-sonics or supers with or without the can. It's a lot of fun!

It was a cheap salve to scratch an itch and I'm not disappointed. Unfortunately I don't have any other .300BO to compare it with. Depending on what you intend to do with your rifle (range toy vs. self defense) it might be a cheap gateway to AR pistols leading to SBRs.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2538 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
This will be just a fun gun range toy for plinking without hearing protection.
I guess I'll look again at the Palmetto.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Another to look at on the low end is Radical firearms, but for me personally I would take a hard look at the AP stuff. The Ballistic Advantage barrels that they are using are very nice !

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
This will be just a fun gun range toy for plinking without hearing protection.
I guess I'll look again at the Palmetto.

Bruce

When shooting subs with my 30P-1 my AR pistol is still loud enough for me to wear earpro. COULD I shoot it without earpro? Sure, but I'm trying to save what little hearing I have left. But me and my shooting buddy were surprised and maybe a bit disappointed at the higher-than-anticipated noise level. It's not "Hollywood Quiet" but there is a very noticeable difference in the reduced dB level whether you're shooting or standing behind the shooter (not sure about the noise while standing in front). I remember reading somewhere the mechanical cycling of an AR is 117 dB just by itself, so there's always that. (I read that on the internet, so it must be true!)

We think the noise is coming from the chamber as the BCG cycles faster due to over-gassing. But that's all speculation.

Hopefully GrumpyBiker will show up to give you some better advice. He's got a full stable of .300 BOs in various configurations.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2538 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
If you are overgassed, it will be loud. Get an adjustable gas block.

My 8" seekins with an sdn6 is giggle quiet. Not Hollywood quiet, and not subsonic suppressed rime fire quiet, but definitely giggle quiet. No ear pro, and the bullet flies so slow you can hear it hit the berm at 10l yards. Everyone that's tried it LOVES it.

We do also have a blackout bolt gun, and that thing is silly with a can.

As for barrels, anything sbr is not going to be a precision weapon. Pick a brand you like and buy it. I only used a Seekins barrel because everything else was seekins too, and I wanted to keep as much of it the same as I could. It shoots great, but I'm sure a cmmg or psa would be just as accurate. I AM partial to stainless barrels, but that could just be force of habit from my bolt gun experience.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Radical Firearms 8.5" with pistol length gas. I shoot mostly suppressed with 120gr Remington OTFB (super sonic) through an AAC SDN6, and it's both accurate and quiet(ish). No ear pro required. I've fired Hornady 208gr AMAX, Barnes TSX (110 and 120gr), Federal 220gr and the aforementioned Remington 120gr OTFB (loaded by Barnes), and all have fired/cycled 100% suppressed and unsuppressed.

As a bonus, the Radical 8.5 comes with a Seekins MCSR Rail for around $300.

Posts: 469 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
I have a Noveske 8.2" upper that has worked perfectly. It has been years since I bought it, but I seem to remember that the gas systems on the Noveske 300blk barrels are/were specifically tuned.

I like mine and am glad I own it, but I would be happy with a PSA upper too.

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post