SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Proper Recoil Spring for Stovepiping Suppressed P220?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper Recoil Spring for Stovepiping Suppressed P220? Login/Join 
posted
As the title says, if you are getting stovepipes when running a suppressed P220 (SiCo Octane 45) shooting standard 230gr ball (Blazer Brass), is the answer is a heavier recoil spring to slow the slide down so the empty can clear the port before the slide returns?

Or is it the other way around? Lighter spring so the case gets flipped out hard, but slide is slower to return due to lighter spring?

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Does the next round feed? I'd assume you're short stroking.

This might be a silly question, but did you lubricate the piston and spring in the suppressor, as well as the barrel? You're adding a good amount of weight to the barrel, and while the booster is supposed to do it's job if you're getting any binding at the lockup points anywhere in the system it can kind of throw the system out of whack. Brand new cans especially.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I honestly can't remember if it fed the next round or not. This was a while back. I'll take it out this weekend and report back. I'll also check the can. Thanks

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Failures to eject are usually due to slow slide velocity. If the other issues that affect slide movement aren’t the problem(s), a less powerful recoil spring would be what to try.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:

This might be a silly question, but did you lubricate the piston and spring in the suppressor, as well as the barrel? You're adding a good amount of weight to the barrel, and while the booster is supposed to do it's job if you're getting any binding at the lockup points anywhere in the system it can kind of throw the system out of whack. Brand new cans especially.

Possibly an even sillier question but...This SiCo Octane 45 does have the Booster/Nelson Device and NOT a Fixed Barrel Spacer, correct?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:

Possibly an even sillier question but...This SiCo Octane 45 does have the Booster/Nelson Device and NOT a Fixed Barrel Spacer, correct?

Yes has the piston - I don't have anything that would require a fixed spacer.

...that I will support
and defend...

posted Hide Post
is it clean and well lubricated?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cleaned up the piston on the can, it was definitely gummy.

Took it to the range yesterday and I'm getting failures to feed?!

...that I will support
and defend...

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
Cleaned up the piston on the can, it was definitely gummy.

Took it to the range yesterday and I'm getting failures to feed?!

Sounds like you're further along in the cycle and are getting the empty case ejected, but not fully to the rear and picking up the round with too little return velocity.

Are the cases ejecting with vigor? Or are they tossed out like the slide is still sluggish upon ejecting?

Maybe some of the below will help. Maybe I'm rambling.

When I'm suppressing a Sig I add heavy grease like slide glide to the edges of the barrel hood in good amounts, the nose of the barrel top and bottom where the smiles form and the slide locks up, the slide rails, the hammer face. The couple I've shot took a little fidgeting to get running, maybe some break-in from the added weight which the booster doesn't fully eliminate.

One the suppressor side for my pistol I use Aeroshell 64 since I have a big tube of it, and it works. I apply it on the piston around the splines, ensuring it's got a decent little bit down in the section it moves around in, on the bottom face where the spring seats, and the sides where the spring rubs. I also lube the spring, but not a ton since I don't want to fill the negative space on every cycle.

I use two wraps of teflon pipe tape on the threads of the barrel to help the suppressor stay put, lots less loosening since going to that, and cleaner threads.

My can also took a bit of time to break in. Between the spring breaking in and the wear points of the piston (I imagine?) it didn't really run with anything but full size .45 when it was brand new, and took a bit of shooting it on that .45 before it really settled in.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
e Aeroshell 64 since I have a big tube of it, and it works. I apply it on the piston around the splines, ensuring it's got a decent little bit down in the section it moves around in, on the bottom face where the spring seats, and the sides where the spring rubs. I also lube the spring, but not a ton since I don't want to fill the negative space on every cycle.

I use two wraps of teflon pipe tape on the threads of the barrel to help the suppressor stay put, lots less loosening since going to that, and cleaner threads.

My can also took a bit of time to break in. Between the spring breaking in and the wear points of the piston (I imagine?) it didn't really run with anything but full size .45 when it was brand new, and took a bit of shooting it on that .

Cases seem to be ejecting with vigor... One thing is I think I went through two 10 round mags before starting to FTF. I'll play around with it some more and try greasing up more per your suggestion.

...that I will support
and defend...