SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Suppressing bullpups
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressing bullpups Login/Join 
posted
Are there any bullpup shooters on here that use a silencer? I am curious how they behave, considering everything about the operating system is closer to the shooter's face. Are emissions intolerable? The 5.56 Tavor lacks adjustability, and the AUG would require swapping the valve to a suppressor-tuned unit.

I owned an AUG in the past, and had a 9mm conversion kit for it. I never did shoot it suppressed with 5.56, but did fire subsonic 9mm through the converted setup, with a AAC TiRant 9mm. Hearing protection was required, solely due to the noise of the action's movement being right next to your ear.

So, that phenomenon combined with a likely increase in the effect of emissions and lack of adjustability, leads me to believe that bullpups don't lend themselves to a silencer outside a novelty context. The mechanical noise of the action is certainly of lesser concern than the other points, considering I use hearing protection when practicing, and even a louder suppressed setup is better than no suppressor, in a real-life scenario.

I appreciate any feedback y'all may have.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad has an x95 tavor in 300. It has a suppressed gas setting. He has run a couple of mags through it when i have been there. They do build gas up in the action that can leak out. But most of it is vented out the bottom and not around the eyes. It isnt perfect mind you, but it has been better than most.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot my 9mm Tavor SAR with a can, and it’s fine. But shooting my 5.56 X95 with a conventional can (Griffin Paladin 300) was incredibly gassy and my eyes were watering before I got through a single mag. I had a gasketted ejection port cover for the unused side, but didn’t seal up where the rear or the top rail met the receiver, which some say helps. My impression is that a lot of gas comes out the open ejection port, which you face (and eyes) are right above. Unlike the .300 X95, the 5.56 version doesn’t have a two position gas plug. My solution was to get a OSS QD-HX 5.56 can specifically for use on the X95 and a few other guns that hard to suppress.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an OSS 7.62 in NFA jail to use on my X95 and Zastava M92.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am shooting my Stayer AUG with a suppressor and it is very comfortable and functions great. I do not do anything but take the suppressor on and off and it it shoots great both ways. It is a sig suppressor on their quick release mount. No leakage or blow back that I can tell of.

JAMES 3:1
USPSA life member

Posts: 270 | Location: Indian River Shores, Florida | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a factory suppressor gas plug in my AUG because I'm waiting on my Dead Air Nomad Titanium. It will live on the AUG with either the direct thread mount or Xeno mount.

I'll post when it finally gets the stamp approved.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17238 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I shoot my Tavor X95 5.56 suppressed with a Rugged Surge without too much issue. I don’t have a sealed ejection port cover for mine, but a buddy has one on his and it does very little to mitigate gas-to-the-face. A much better trick to reducing gas in your face can be seen here.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to fiddle with my aug and plug to get around port pop. It functions though. My MdrX seems to have no issues suppressed and functions very well.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I need to fiddle with my aug and plug to get around port pop. It functions though. My MdrX seems to have no issues suppressed and functions very well.

Is it the normal plug or suppressor plug?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17238 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Now you've got me thinking about finally getting around to SBRing my PS90 and suppressing it....

Wonder how a direct blowback bullpup like that fares when suppressed, especially since the PS90's chamber location is a bit different than any others.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I have a factory suppressor gas plug in my AUG because I'm waiting on my Dead Air Nomad Titanium. It will live on the AUG with either the direct thread mount or Xeno mount.

I'll post when it finally gets the stamp approved.

Pretty much the same set up as flesheatingvirus; waiting for my tax stamp to get approved for my Nomad-30 and waiting for Steyr to come back in stock with a suppressor gas plug…

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple folks mentioned the OSS cans; I have an HXQD556 as well. It definitely works as advertised, in my experience, and that or a similar low pressure or flow-through design would definitely help a bullpup perform.

I am certainly curious as to the AUG suppressor gas regulator. Virus, in comparing the silencer regulator to the regular one, does the silencer unit allow less gas into the cylinder, or allow the same amount in but vents more?

I saw that Tavor video. A video like that is kind of silly. He doesn't shoot enough, and there is no way for a video to really show a mitigation in excess gasses. If the ambient temp is cold, you can see the gas pretty well, but otherwise we're just taking the Tavor sales man's word for it; of course he's gonna say it's fine. I don't know why they didn't put the adjustable block in the X95. I think weapon manufacturers would do well to pay more attention to silencer applications, in the design process.

What exactly is "port pop"?

I love the P90. I have always wanted one, but it's hard for me to justify it, as I consider it a novelty gun in semi-auto, and I would have to SBR it. Lately though, I have considered pinning a can to one, to avoid the stamp. However, like Action Man, I am unsure that it would work well. I think it may be pretty gassy, with no way to remedy it.

One thing I believe skews conversations like this is folks' different perspectives and circumstances (as in every conversation). A gun "working fine with a silencer" means one thing to one person, and another to someone else. I think some folks evaluation is skewed by the fact that they just subconsciously prefer that the gun they own works (naturally). Another thing is round count, fire rate, atmospheric conditions, and circumstances of the shooting event; ten rounds at a slow rate with a breeze in the right direction will have many believe their gun has no gas issues. Fifteen rounds at a rapid rate on a calm day may indicate otherwise. We have contradicting reports in this very thread, of both the AUG and Tavor.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ARC's thread in the rifle room has my bullpup gears turning again. Anyone have any progress on their suppressed setups previously mentioned here? The shorter OAL and better balance sure lends itself to a silencer! What are the progress reports?

Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Been shooting the AUG with the factory suppressor gas plug and a Dead Air Nomad Ti. It has been 100% so far, and was only slightly louder than a similarly suppressed AR. I only notice more blowback from the ejection port when I rotate the rifle to use my offset red dot sight. It makes my right eye water a bit.

posted Hide Post
A. sorry Virus for the year and a half reply but it is a suppressor plug on the Aug. Can is an OPS inc 12th in .30. I have a Hux flow 762ti and a Griffin 30sdk in jail so I'll report back when I get those.

B. My understanding of the Augs piston is it vents all excess into the atmosphere and is therefore a source of noise (aforementioned "port pop") which offsets some suppression unless you turn it off and make it a straight pull. Again I am interested in seeing how it does with the other cans and honestly I need to play with the suppressor plug more to really wring it out. On the day I took it out I was rushed and didn't really put it through its paces.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Rat Worx used to produce a suppressor that captured the port pop and if I remember correctly, directed it into the suppressor, think they were discontinued though not sure if it was lack of sales or something else … they also produced a a steel trigger group that was reportedly had a really nice break but I’d heard they couldn’t get enough fcg housings … not sure why they couldn’t sell the gut of it, maybe too much liability.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Their sear dramatically improves the trigger pull.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I just parsed through responses and didn’t see it mentioned by Steyr is supposed to be coming out with a suppressed .300 Bo barrel that has a modified gas plug chamber and some other voodoo that will make it run properly in any AUG. I have no reason to doubt that it’s coming based upon all the goodies that have come available recently including AUG classes, Machinegun barrels, and 14” barrels and stocks. I just bought another stock recently for my AUG. I have the suppressed gas plug but haven’t tried it suppressed yet. Sounds dumb but I want a second AUG specifically to suppress. I have an AAC M4-2000 and a Griffin Optimus 9 and either should work nicely but I’d be tempted to try one of the flow through suppressors on the AUG. I too am curious how it’ll work, especially with less blowback.

Posts: 5999 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Won't be hating on an excuse to buy a 2nd AUG. Smile

Plus, most people don't ever get a chance to dual wield them.