SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    A couple suppressor questions, which one and 556 or 30cal?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
A couple suppressor questions, which one and 556 or 30cal? Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
I have the Hexium 762, which I like a lot. Ran great on my .300 BO. I just couldn’t wrap my mind around getting a 9in long Hexium 300 and slapping it on a 7 or 8 inch gun.
 
Posts: 4004 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Makes more sense on a 7 or 8 inch gun than it does a 16-20 inch gun, but yes, the can is huge lol.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19281 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
One more update:
I picked up the Hexium on Friday.
I ordered a SilencerCo Bravo ASR and a SilencerCo ASR 5.56 Flash Hider from Midway.
They were $40 cheaper than the local store and they should arrive today.

Looked at the can on Saturday, and I could not get the direct mount off of it.
Took it back to the store Sunday, and they couldn't get it off either.
They said it was a known issue with Sig cans and asked I could bring it back later in the week since they are short-staffed on Sundays.

In the mean time I ordered a $20 Amazon strap wrench. and it came today.
I soaked the threads in Kroil the last few days and with a little effort, the strap wrench got it apart this morning.
I put my wrench in the vise and the strap wrench close to the base.

With the purchase of 3 cans over the last few months, the strap wrench will be nice to have in the tool chest.
I'm surprised I didn't already have one.

 
Posts: 4824 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using a strap wrench on suppressors for years. They seems to come only two ways, either completely off or barely hand tight, or tightened on by gorilla strength.
 
Posts: 4004 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, strap wrench is required gear. Also super handy, I’ve found, are silicone mats. You can roll them around a suppressor so that they tighten with whichever direction you’re turning, and get your strap wrench around that for extra purchase. Figured that one out when a friend got one of my cans stuck on his Hub adapter for his CMMG integral. That sucker wouldn’t come off using any of the standard tricks, and I know them well. The texture on the can was shredding the strap wrench at that. The silicone mat and strap wrench combo around the can and the extension in a 3D printed vise block cranked down in my heavy vise is what finally gave enough purchase that I could get it apart. Saved a trip back to Florida for it.

Similarly, don’t overlook using an impact gun if you have a mount you can fit a socket on. I got a badly stuck mount out of my Polonium a few weeks ago with the Milwaukee that boiling and soaking also wouldn’t loosen. Saved a trip back to Kuntucky there, too.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19281 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I have the Hexium 762, which I like a lot. Ran great on my .300 BO. I just couldn’t wrap my mind around getting a 9in long Hexium 300 and slapping it on a 7 or 8 inch gun.


Are you running it direct thread?
I had to send those SilencerCo flash hider and ASR Bravo mount back to Midway because they were too long.
Even though the shop told me they would work. Roll Eyes
The mount wouldn't screw into the suppressor all the way; the original direct thread it came with has a tapered edge, and the hider was over the 1.45" minimum to fit inside the can.

For giggles, I tried the Huwrx Flow9k mini stiction mounts and flash hider, and they fit fine.
So I'd think the regular Hux Stiction hardware would work.
I guess I'll just run it direct thread for now; it's the only gun I use the Hexium on anyway.


And one more question: do I need alignment rods to check the alignment before I go to the range?
I'm new to all this.
Thnaks guys.
 
Posts: 4824 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Yeah, strap wrench is required gear. Also super handy, I’ve found, are silicone mats. You can roll them around a suppressor so that they tighten with whichever direction you’re turning, and get your strap wrench around that for extra purchase. Figured that one out when a friend got one of my cans stuck on his Hub adapter for his CMMG integral. That sucker wouldn’t come off using any of the standard tricks, and I know them well. The texture on the can was shredding the strap wrench at that. The silicone mat and strap wrench combo around the can and the extension in a 3D printed vise block cranked down in my heavy vise is what finally gave enough purchase that I could get it apart. Saved a trip back to Florida for it.

Similarly, don’t overlook using an impact gun if you have a mount you can fit a socket on. I got a badly stuck mount out of my Polonium a few weeks ago with the Milwaukee that boiling and soaking also wouldn’t loosen. Saved a trip back to Kuntucky there, too.


I never thought about the impact gun, I should have tried that.
My biggest fear was putting the can in a vise.
I have 'soft grip' jaw liners, but I was afraid of damaging the can.
 
Posts: 4824 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
The "U" in HUB is supposed to be Universal, but I have read elsewhere that the new SIG "HUB" cans have an extra taper in there and some mounts don't fit. Just like their barrels, SIG just had to be different add an extra taper.

I'm sure someone has started a list of what mounts fit, but I haven't had to look into it.




"The left can't applaud me because their hands are in other people's pockets." - Javier Milei
 
Posts: 2468 | Location: Texan on the north side of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I have the Hexium 762, which I like a lot. Ran great on my .300 BO. I just couldn’t wrap my mind around getting a 9in long Hexium 300 and slapping it on a 7 or 8 inch gun.


Are you running it direct thread?
I had to send those SilencerCo flash hider and ASR Bravo mount back to Midway because they were too long.
Even though the shop told me they would work. Roll Eyes
The mount wouldn't screw into the suppressor all the way; the original direct thread it came with has a tapered edge, and the hider was over the 1.45" minimum to fit inside the can.

For giggles, I tried the Huwrx Flow9k mini stiction mounts and flash hider, and they fit fine.
So I'd think the regular Hux Stiction hardware would work.
I guess I'll just run it direct thread for now; it's the only gun I use the Hexium on anyway.


And one more question: do I need alignment rods to check the alignment before I go to the range?
I'm new to all this.
Thnaks guys.


I use Plan A (Griffin taper mount). The only things I use direct thread on are .22lr guns. For rifle calibers, Hux muzzle devices for gassy guns like the Tavor, Plan A for everything else, and 3 lug for PCCs.

I always use an alignment rod the first time to check a new suppressor/mount/adapter combo.
 
Posts: 4004 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

I use Plan A (Griffin taper mount). The only things I use direct thread on are .22lr guns. For rifle calibers, Hux muzzle devices for gassy guns like the Tavor, Plan A for everything else, and 3 lug for PCCs.

I always use an alignment rod the first time to check a new suppressor/mount/adapter combo.


Thank you again..

I do research this stuff online, but for every person who said I would need alignment rods, another said they aren't needed.
Better safe than sorry.
 
Posts: 4824 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I never thought about the impact gun, I should have tried that.
My biggest fear was putting the can in a vise.
I have 'soft grip' jaw liners, but I was afraid of damaging the can.


Best practice definitely would be to clamp it in a vise in a suppressor vise block sized for your can. I 3D printed one to fit the Polonium, but you can order one from EA:

https://energeticarms.com/vox-blox-vise-soft-jaws/


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19281 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    A couple suppressor questions, which one and 556 or 30cal?

© SIGforum 2026