SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    A couple suppressor questions, which one and 556 or 30cal?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
A couple suppressor questions, which one and 556 or 30cal? Login/Join 
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted
Funny, I've been a member here since 2008 and never looked at the Suppressed Weapons threads until this month.
I've learned a lot reading thru these threads.

So far, I've purchased 2 cans: a Sparrow 22 for my 15-22 pistol and a Huxwrx Flow 9K Ti for my Stribog, plus a few handguns.

This week I picked up a Sig M400 556 with a 16" barrel.
I need a suppressor for it.
As much as I like the Huxwrx Flow 556K series, I'm having a hard time justifying paying $1099 for the Flow 556k or $1300 for the FLOW 556 TI.
The rifle only cost me $1100.

Another option, thru my research, is the Dead Air CT5P Patrol .
At only $850 it seems a little more reasonable for my range plinking needs.

Any other suggestions for a reasonably priced can?
I'd like a flow thru type without baffles to have to line up.

Another question is caliber.
For now, I don't foresee getting another upper in a different caliber, but I would eventually like a 556 upper with a shorter barrel.
But in the distant future, I might get a 300BLK upper, so should I get a .30 cal can so I can run both 556 and 300BLK?


Thank you for your help.
I'm new to all this, including ARs.
 
Posts: 4824 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Have a look at Ridgeback Defense. I would take any of the Rhodie offerings currently over the Dead Air in that price range. It’s the current best value rifle can.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19281 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Be prepared to wait for a Rhodie. I’m over 8 weeks in waiting for my Rhodie 6ti to be shipped.

I like the Sig Hexium, and don’t sleep on the newer Griffin AM cans like the HRT 556 and the DL5.
 
Posts: 4004 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
There are so many great choices under those prices by hundreds. Remember a .30 cal can will work just fine on your AR. Plus any other rifle cal. up to .300 win in mag. "most" case's.

I have not bought one dedicated to only one cal.
.30 cal are heavier but I have found that to be a non issue for me. Good luck.

Either way, might want to look at Otter Creek Labs.

The Omega 300 dtm is $600. A great can too.
Maybe a bit gassy.

YHM is also good to go imho.

A lot of great choices.



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21945 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Gentlemen.
 
Posts: 4824 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
You may be able to find Rhodies in stock on Gunbroker.

Also, the DA Lazarus 6 is essentially the same can, but you get more flexibility when it comes to mounting options. (according to Mike Pappas at DA)
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Be prepared to wait for a Rhodie. I’m over 8 weeks in waiting for my Rhodie 6ti to be shipped.

I like the Sig Hexium, and don’t sleep on the newer Griffin AM cans like the HRT 556 and the DL5.




Phone's ringing, Dude.
 
Posts: 6475 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
If I was starting from scratch in 2026, I would decide what mounting system I was going to use, before locking in a suppressor. There are some standouts right now.

Most of the good suppressors are either HUB, or similar, but there are a few that lock you into a mounting system. For example, the Huxwrx Flows, Surefire SOCOMs, and DA CT5Ps all lock you into proprietary mounting solutions. Of the three mentioned above, you can get the CT5P in Xeno, which is the lightest and least expensive, at least of those listed.

I went with Plan B which has the most vendors making mounts of various quality, but I must say, I like that Xeno is LH. Xeno is essentially just a longer, left hand Plan B due to having more length behind the taper. Most Plan B mounts are shorter overall which is nice if you are already adding to a relatively long 16" barrel.

One issue with Plan B, and likely many of the other similar taper mounts, is the ability for you to interface your 5.56 can on your .30 caliber host. There's nothing built into the design of the mount to prevent it. Many proprietary systems have little engineering tricks that prevent it, but do-all mounts like Plan B sell essentially one multi-cal interface. Keeps costs down, but increases risk of user error. So, be wary of that.

After you've determined what mounting system you prefer. Then look for cans that meet your criteria. Most HUB low backpressure cans will be 3-D printed, and due to the cost of the equipment will be around $700-$1100. They will likely all perform sound suppression similar, when looking at similar sized cans, but the material issue can affect flash suppression the most.

Titanium sparks. A lot. It also heats up much faster than SS, Inconel, or Nickel 625X. However, titanium should cool much faster too, despite being a poor heat conductor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vgex,
 
Posts: 2407 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
First some .30 cal cans do great when you run 5.56 through them, some don't. To get an idea take a look at the TBAC suppressor test. Several of the .30 cal cans I own running 5.56 are between 3-8dba lounder than the best 5.56 cans I own.
But suppressors are all a set of tradeoff's. you can clearly run 5.56 through .30cal cans but at the expense (most likely) of louder, heavier, and bigger. But you get a can that does double duty. Whether that is worth it to you I can't say. I wouldn't and don't but that's just me.
Me right now I'd suggest you get a Rhodie 6 if you want a model to look at in 5.56.
all FWIW.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 11919 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Hearing is subjective. I only own .30 cal. They sound great shooting .223/5.56. At the expense of a bit more weight. But minimal imho.

With the ease of acquiring these days I might buy a dedicate 5.56 can. If it was the old days I would not bother. Ymmv



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21945 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
well of course hearing is subjective, and more importantly what matters to you in the scheme of suppressor tradeoffs probably matters more.
ME I'm chasing max suppression at my ear. And for many of the cans I own that are 7.62 in size that number is substantially bigger than the best of my 5.56 cans when they are shooting 5.56.
That may or may not matter to you. Obviously it doesn't matter to much to you, but it seems likely one can also say you haven't heard a good 5.56 can in comparison. The OP can go listen to cans or see the available data and decide, but I agree with the last part of your post. At this point just get a great 5.56 can and be happy.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 11919 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The OP can go listen to cans or see the available data and decide, but I agree with the last part of your post. At this point just get a great 5.56 can and be happy.


Thank you all for the input.
This is what I'm going to do: get a 5.56 can.
My thoughts of changing calibers are just that, thoughts that may never happen.
If it becomes a reality, I'll just buy another suppressor.

I've researched everyone's suggestions, and I just need to figure out my budget and what it is in stock.
 
Posts: 4824 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I like the simplicity of the Socom 2 with a Surefire adapter. Super easy on and off. Setup multiple rifles with adapters and can move the can around as needed.

Anything is better than shooting a short barrel 5.56 indoors with only a muzzle break. Those are obnoxious to every other shooter on the range if not suppressed.
 
Posts: 2957 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
A CMMG Zeroed556 is under $600, or better yet a Lyman 556 is under $300.


____________________________

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
 
Posts: 35584 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dwill104:
Be prepared to wait for a Rhodie. I’m over 8 weeks in waiting for my Rhodie 6ti to be shipped.
[/ QUOTE]

Hopefully this will be getting better soon. I am pretty sure they just moved into a new facility and got some more equipment and were able to triple production.

I am slated to go to their place in a couple weeks and compare their Rhino X and Rhodie on my personal AR.


Currently I have a .30 Cal YHM Resonator K that I run across all my rifles and 5.56 sound suppression is better than nothing but still pretty loud. I have had this for a long time and figured with the $200 stamp requirement at the time Inwould get one can to handle all my rifles.

We recently got SBRs and Suppressors authorized at work so I am shopping for a dedicated 5.56 lots of folks pointed to Ridgeback and Otter Creek both of which are pretty close to my house.
Ridgeback said I could come and try them on my own gun to help make my decision, so looking forward to that.
Probably be closer to the 1st of the year before I have the money to actually buy so hopefully this can we just transfer them on a 4473 will have better clarification.


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26955 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Hearing is subjective. I only own .30 cal. They sound great shooting .223/5.56. At the expense of a bit more weight. But minimal imho.

With the ease of acquiring these days I might buy a dedicate 5.56 can. If it was the old days I would not bother. Ymmv
I have a Rugged Razor 556, and it's the same suppressor as the Razor 762, just with different end caps and markings. I did ask at Rugged to confirm that, and they said Yes.
 
Posts: 5939 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have decided to go dedicated 556 which is what I would recommend as you don't have the 300blk yet.

I went 300blk and then got into 9mm PCC and now my 300blks don't get out to the range much. While 300blk and 9mm PCC, don't exactly overlap in all use cases, at the range 9mm is more fun and way cheaper ammo.

We have better options now than the traditional high back pressure welded baffle cans but if you have a tight budget, then I would suggest Canik Void 556 (made by Otter Creek Labs) as a low back pressure welded can.

While Huxworx is #1 at low back pressure, they are loud to me and expensive, and I'm not a fan. Starting in 2023 we've had a revolution in 3d printed low back pressure cans. My recommendation is get something 3d printed designed in the last 4 years.




"The left can't applaud me because their hands are in other people's pockets." - Javier Milei
 
Posts: 2468 | Location: Texan on the north side of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
While Huxworx is #1 at low back pressure, they are loud to me and expensive, and I'm not a fan.


I am not sufficiently knowledgable to offer a recommendation but I have the Huxworx 5.56 and my impression is exactly what ibanda said. I could have gotten adequate LBP and better noise suppression for less money.
 
Posts: 615 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Update gentlemen;
Went to my local trusted shop with my list of suppressors.
Must-haves were 3D-printed, no baffles to align, flow-through, and lightweight.
Also on the list was that I only paid $1200 after tax for the Sig M400 Forge , didn't want to pay that much for a can for it.

Their recommendation was the Sig Sauer HEXIUM556 Ti and as well they had it in stock.
Although new on the market, so is the rifle I bought it for.
Allegedly, one of the sales guys owned one and liked it.

The Silencer Shop ATF signature email arrived 15 minutes later.
Hope to pick it up soon.

Thank you all for being so helpful to this suppressor newbie.
 
Posts: 4824 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
We’re going to need a good write up on the rifle and can!!

That M400 is on the short list for me seems like a lot of fun for the money.
I’ll likely end up with the 11.5”


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26955 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you end up deciding you want (need Smile ) a .30 caliber can to go with that Hexium556, I can personally vouch that the Hexium300 is absurdly quiet with .300 BO, and can handle other .30 caliber rounds. The big downside is that it is massive at almost 9in long. However, that volume definitely translates to performance because it is very quiet. It'll also match your 5.56 can. Smile


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19281 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    A couple suppressor questions, which one and 556 or 30cal?

© SIGforum 2026