SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    suppressing 38 special in a rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

suppressing 38 special in a rifle Login/Join 
posted
I might be overthinking this, but I have never had a 38 special rifle. I just bought a Marlin and am having it threaded to accept my silencero hybrid. I think that most 38 special rounds are subsonic in handguns but I am not sure about rifles. I have a chrono and will load for suppression, but all loads I have found are for handguns. I realize that I can answer all my questions once I get my rifle back and get the chrono going, but does anyone have any advice on suppressing 38 special with a silencerco hybrid in a Marlin with a 16 inch barrel? For example, which bullet weight works well? I will be using Win 231 (because I bought too much am will use the stuff until I run out). Any good start loads or do I just go with handgun loads? Thanks.

"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper

Posts: 67 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: February 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they will be subsonic unless you go really hot light loads. 357 not so much.

Where are you having the work done. I want a marlin 45lc Stainless, to have it threaded for deer season

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Marlin 1894 CSBL (stainless). I have asked Jon Ritenour of Homestead Guns Shop to do the threading. I am a little nervous because he seems to keep trying to talk himself out of doing it. Maybe I should choose someone else. Do you know of anyone local?

"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper

Posts: 67 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: February 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know if this helps you, but this was a response I got on VAguntrader:

Jack Keister at Accurate Arms past Harrisonburg should be able to. He does good work . Did a lot of things for me over the years . Phone #540 867 0488. His shop is on 33 west about 10 minutes out of Harrisonburg.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Hickock45 did a video on suppressing a Rossi M92 in .357-.38 Special years back...it looks like a fun and pleasant gun to shoot Smile....38 Special is pretty quiet.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/YXc0rm6dzVs

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep thinking about threading my CSS. Grumpy’s Guns is local to me but not you but seems to have done this before.

http://grumpysguns.com/barrelt...viceleveraction.aspx

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Here's your chart:

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

If speed of sound is 1125 to 1150 fps, they're all over from a 16" barrel.

.38 Special and .357 Magnum loads gain proportionately more velocity going from 4" to 16" barrels than most other cartridges.

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you find the 1894CSBL in stock somewhere? They've been tough to find for a while

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a lot to reply to. Thanks for the hickok45 video. That is what I am after. I presume that subsonic loads are just bigger bullets with less powder. I appreciate the ballistics chart. I think that I will have some handloading work to do. Thanks also for the Grumpy Guns suggestion. They definitely do what I want but I am going to try to save on shipping at this point. We will see. Regarding my CSBL, I bought it new off of gunbroker. No one around me would even try to get one for me. I paid about $1000 including shipping.

Someday I will have this barrel threaded and some subsonic loads made up. I'll post progress. Thanks, y'all.

posted Hide Post
I've used this guy several times. Mostly AR stuff, re-profiling, cut and thread type stuff. He communicates well and is reasonably priced.

https://class3machining.com/

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot some suppressed 38spcl through an H&R breakover (shoutout to Sweden, hope you’re doing well, Matt!). 158gr 38 was stupid quiet. Sweden also had a suppressed 30-30 that was quieter than you’d think. I’ve got an iPhone video around here somewhere but it really doesn’t do it justice.

I’ve thought several times about a similar project to yours. It can get expensive real fast. It seems the biggest issue most folks have with doing the threading is that the front sight has to be moved back, and the magazine tube shortened.

And of course, Marlin now has the 1894CST in their catalog. I don’t know about availability, however.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com...-1894/model-1894-cst

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FAL'er:
I've used this guy several times. Mostly AR stuff, re-profiling, cut and thread type stuff. He communicates well and is reasonably priced.

Same here. Would easily be my first choice for any threading work.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot some suppressed 38spcl through an H&R breakover (shoutout to Sweden, hope you’re doing well, Matt!). 158gr 38 was stupid quiet.

I have also shot that same rifle from Sweden. That thing is like giggle quiet.

Good luck with your project OP, keep us posted.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by FAL'er:

Same here. Would easily be my first choice for any threading work.

I’ll third the recommendation. He’s local to me and I had the chance to drop off several barrels from various projects for shortening/threading, the work was top notch on all of them.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post