SIGforum
Opinions on a 9mm suppressor and host

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/380105858/m/3630028784

December 22, 2021, 10:54 PM
CEShooter
Opinions on a 9mm suppressor and host
Well, the Omega 300 didn’t satisfy the craving, it only made it worse. My new grand idea is a USP9 Tactical with an Obsidian45 attached to it. My sole reasoning for the USP is it’s 9mm and I have a soft spot for USPs. If you were spending my money, what would you choose assuming that the ~$1300-$1400 for a USP is the high limit for the purchase price of the pistol.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes
December 23, 2021, 07:50 AM
hlb14
If you're set on a 45 suppressor, why not a USP45 Tactical? I'd rather not have to hunt for heavy 9mm rounds.
December 23, 2021, 09:01 AM
Bentonville
After a long search I went with the Obsidian 45 from Rugged Suppressors. I got a 9mm mount and the .45 mount . I use it on my HK VP9 and my HK 45c. It’s as quiet as any on the market . It’s versatile. It is modular for standard length and a shortened configuration. I even use it on my Ruger.22. It’s made of high quality materials and is very user-friendly for cleaning. The Customer Service is second to none. I talked to the folks in Travelers Rest, SC several times before I purchased and several since then. Silencer Shop makes the purchase as easy as possible .
December 23, 2021, 10:05 AM
KSGM
I have had an AAC Ti-Rant 9 since 2014(ish). It barely gets used. Every now and then, as a novelty, it's cool to be able to shoot without ears, or play assassin with the NVG and IR laser. As a general rule though, center-fire pistol silencers aren't super practical, IMO. All depends on your application, of course. For a sidearm, it doesn't make much sense; for a nightstand gun or hunting pistol, it can make a lot of sense. If I was shopping for a true handgun silencer "host", I'd be looking at the B&T Welrod thing, or one of those M9s with the hush puppy treatment. The USPs are rad though. My pistols with threaded barrels are a MK25 and a Steyr L9. The Steyr doesn't work 100% with a can. The MK25 is just fine.
At the end of the day, I am glad I have a pistol silencer. I have zero interest in another though, for what that's worth.
December 23, 2021, 04:04 PM
H&K-Guy
I'm also a fan of the SiCo Omega 300, and the HKUSPTac. I was thinking the exact same way as you were, but went for the HKUSP45Tac and a SiCo Octane 45, for many of the reasons listed above.

If you are going to suppress a HKUSP, the .45 ACP is going to be the easiest (and quietest). The HKUSP45Tac already comes with a 16x1LH threaded barrel, so you are good to go there. And you can get 1/2x28 pistons and end caps for most cans that will work nearly as well for your 9mm.

I'm just sayin' if you are going the HKUSP route, that's the route I went.

H&K-Guy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H&K-Guy,
December 23, 2021, 07:02 PM
hrcjon
quote:
Obsidian45

I'm not exactly sure the scope of the question. If its what are good hosts for an Obsidian45 then the answer is there are a zillion of them. If its is the USP9 a good host, then I would say yes. I love the USP. If its can I run a 9mm on a .45 can then Bentonville supplied the answer which is yes and rugged has the parts to even optimize that. If there is a downside to the USP at this point its that getting an optic on one is a project and I'm at the point that shooting anything needs an optic.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
December 24, 2021, 10:31 AM
CEShooter
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
If you're set on a 45 suppressor, why not a USP45 Tactical? I'd rather not have to hunt for heavy 9mm rounds.

I have an HK45 so I was struggling to justify two such similar pistols. The 9mm host combined with the 45 suppressor was more a long term thought that I could buy a 45 host if I won the lottery in the future and not have to buy another suppressor.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes
December 24, 2021, 06:12 PM
hlb14
Can't speak to the usp9 as a host although I can't imagine it not being awesome. I can add that the obsidian 45 is a fantastic choice for a pistol suppressor. Mine has been a joy to shoot on a HK45, VP9 and ghm9. I hope to add a MK23 someday.
April 07, 2022, 08:59 AM
King of Useless Knowledge
I dont own any 45's and honestly haven't in many years and dont intend too ( I know a crime to some) so I went with the Rugged Obsidian 9. I run it on my MP5, my Aero EPC, my Browning Hi Power, FNS, Glock 19, and even my 22's including my bold .22 LR with .22 silents and it is ridiculously quiet. In terms of a pure 9mm only can I love it and cant say enough good things about it.
April 07, 2022, 05:22 PM
Black92LX
The USP9 Tactical is a fantastic host. I had one and do miss it.
Though I still find my plain Jane 226 with a threaded barrel and 21 round magazine to be my favorite.

I did however just get a 320c but sent it off to get the “voluntary upgrade” so it will be a few weeks before I know if I like it better.
320C, Sig threaded barrel, WC Carry grip module, and 21 round magazine should be a treat as well.

I’ll eventually end up with an FN 509 tactical as well since I have a 502.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!