SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Opinions on a 9mm suppressor and host
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on a 9mm suppressor and host Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
Well, the Omega 300 didn’t satisfy the craving, it only made it worse. My new grand idea is a USP9 Tactical with an Obsidian45 attached to it. My sole reasoning for the USP is it’s 9mm and I have a soft spot for USPs. If you were spending my money, what would you choose assuming that the ~$1300-$1400 for a USP is the high limit for the purchase price of the pistol.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2163 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're set on a 45 suppressor, why not a USP45 Tactical? I'd rather not have to hunt for heavy 9mm rounds.

Posts: 846 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a long search I went with the Obsidian 45 from Rugged Suppressors. I got a 9mm mount and the .45 mount . I use it on my HK VP9 and my HK 45c. It’s as quiet as any on the market . It’s versatile. It is modular for standard length and a shortened configuration. I even use it on my Ruger.22. It’s made of high quality materials and is very user-friendly for cleaning. The Customer Service is second to none. I talked to the folks in Travelers Rest, SC several times before I purchased and several since then. Silencer Shop makes the purchase as easy as possible .

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had an AAC Ti-Rant 9 since 2014(ish). It barely gets used. Every now and then, as a novelty, it's cool to be able to shoot without ears, or play assassin with the NVG and IR laser. As a general rule though, center-fire pistol silencers aren't super practical, IMO. All depends on your application, of course. For a sidearm, it doesn't make much sense; for a nightstand gun or hunting pistol, it can make a lot of sense. If I was shopping for a true handgun silencer "host", I'd be looking at the B&T Welrod thing, or one of those M9s with the hush puppy treatment. The USPs are rad though. My pistols with threaded barrels are a MK25 and a Steyr L9. The Steyr doesn't work 100% with a can. The MK25 is just fine.
At the end of the day, I am glad I have a pistol silencer. I have zero interest in another though, for what that's worth.

Posts: 570 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I'm also a fan of the SiCo Omega 300, and the HKUSPTac. I was thinking the exact same way as you were, but went for the HKUSP45Tac and a SiCo Octane 45, for many of the reasons listed above.

If you are going to suppress a HKUSP, the .45 ACP is going to be the easiest (and quietest). The HKUSP45Tac already comes with a 16x1LH threaded barrel, so you are good to go there. And you can get 1/2x28 pistons and end caps for most cans that will work nearly as well for your 9mm.

I'm just sayin' if you are going the HKUSP route, that's the route I went.

H&K-Guy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H&K-Guy,

Posts: 3715 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obsidian45

I'm not exactly sure the scope of the question. If its what are good hosts for an Obsidian45 then the answer is there are a zillion of them. If its is the USP9 a good host, then I would say yes. I love the USP. If its can I run a 9mm on a .45 can then Bentonville supplied the answer which is yes and rugged has the parts to even optimize that. If there is a downside to the USP at this point its that getting an optic on one is a project and I'm at the point that shooting anything needs an optic.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 9865 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
If you're set on a 45 suppressor, why not a USP45 Tactical? I'd rather not have to hunt for heavy 9mm rounds.

I have an HK45 so I was struggling to justify two such similar pistols. The 9mm host combined with the 45 suppressor was more a long term thought that I could buy a 45 host if I won the lottery in the future and not have to buy another suppressor.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2163 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the usp9 as a host although I can't imagine it not being awesome. I can add that the obsidian 45 is a fantastic choice for a pistol suppressor. Mine has been a joy to shoot on a HK45, VP9 and ghm9. I hope to add a MK23 someday.

Posts: 846 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post