SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Zenith/Century MP5 tri lug question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zenith/Century MP5 tri lug question Login/Join 
posted
I purchased a new tri lug adapter for my obsidians to use on the MP5 clones. My concern is that the thread protectors seem to unthread when shot without suppressors. I am a bit concerned about the thread protector coming unthreaded when I have the tri lug adapter used on a suppressor which could be bad. What is the best way to avoid the thread protector coming unthreaded? Loctite? Better way to hold that thread protector in place?

Posts: 140 | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
rubber o-ring then put on thread protector...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Either O-ring or a tiny drop of Rocksett.

Loctite is temperature sensitive.

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I use an o-ring with my SP5 and trident 9 with no problems.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm scared that its going to come off with serious consequences and there is no need for it running suppressed. I just remove it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm scared that its going to come off with serious consequences and there is no need for it running suppressed. I just remove it.

Bad idea. The area in front of the tri-lug is designed to be provide alignment by being a close fit with the inside of the sleeve/piston that’s in the tri-lug adapter of the suppressor. By removing the TP, you’re removing something that helps keep the suppressor aligned. The lugs are mainly only there for locking. Depending on how strong the spring is, you may be able to get away with it, but you’re taking a chance of getting a baffle or endcap strike.

I think the TP unscrewing inside of the tri-lug is nearly impossible. What is the motive force that would cause the TP to completely rotate at least 5-6 full turns inside of the adapter and come off of the end?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the motive force that would cause the TP to completely rotate at least 5-6 full turns inside of the adapter and come off of the end?

Weirder things have happened; I'd say it is certainly possible. As previously recommended, a drop of rocksett would be good. I have also had good luck with thread tape, using direct thread cans; it could work well here as well.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bad idea.

OK fair enough and thanks for getting me to rethink it. I'll generally go back to reinstalling it with locktite. But I think the answer overall is it depends. My normal HK and B&T don't have this problem as they only have trilug so I gave the issue some thought initially when I got a barrel with both options. So when I first decided to remove the thread protector on one gun with this dual mount system I mounted my suppressor 3 lug adapter (by itself) and the threads were not in the adapter. So my conclusion is that thread protector or not it can't affect anything.
But after your note and now that I look at a couple of other guns with the same dual option setup I see a variety of lengths between the tri lug and the threads. The spec for the HK tri lug shows 30mm of barrel after the lugs. And in one of the other barrels I measured it was exactly that to the start of the 1/2x28 threads so that person thought of the issue. But on the other one it was less than half that so for sure that one you need the thread protector mounted.
All FWIW>

posted Hide Post
I've found the first bit of suppressed shooting carbons them up pretty good and it's a non-issue. If you're not going to thread a can on anyway (and why bother when tri-lug is an option?), there's nothing really wrong with adding some Rocksett.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problems after I installed an "O" ring.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am certainly curious how an oring would survive in that environment. Even the most exotic ones that one can easily obtain max out about 450degrees F. and it certainly must be much more than that inside the blast section of a suppressor.

posted Hide Post
Anyway on this. Going back to running a thread protector. I'm now searching for a 1/2x28 thread suppressor for a PTR HK clone that is really long on the threads. Like its nearly double any thread suppressor I have. Internet searching show nothing that is even remotely long enough to cover the threads completely. ideas?