SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    What are the options for suppressing a swiss SG550/551 in USA
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the options for suppressing a swiss SG550/551 in USA Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by krieg:
Do you mean silencers that can mount on the sg550 specifically? B&T has been making stateside silencers for a little while now haven't they.

I think they have started to release some of their handgun suppressors this year. I haven't seen any rifle suppressors released yet so my 550 will have to embrace the noise...

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
from B&T USA

"We are going to be offering the 5.56/7.62 RBS Suppressors for the SIG55X platforms this year. We will have the NATO flash hider and the locking collar version available.

Best regards,

B&T USA"

well, I'll definitely get one for my 550. is there any point to running subsonic 556 or is it best to just use standard loads.

Posts: 38 | Registered: October 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by krieg:
from B&T USA

"We are going to be offering the 5.56/7.62 RBS Suppressors for the SIG55X platforms this year. We will have the NATO flash hider and the locking collar version available.

Best regards,

B&T USA"

well, I'll definitely get one for my 550. is there any point to running subsonic 556 or is it best to just use standard loads.
I'm in B&T!

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Based on my B&T APC45 suppressor, that's a hard pass from me. way too much $$ and nowhere near hearing safe and 100% of 45acp are subs lol

Posts: 3061 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have an APC45 with the trilug what possible other options are there PGT?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
TiRant-45 with an adapter. A friend own's a shop that makes custom stuff and he did a small run of them and I grabbed one.

I mean...it would be better if he could do the same for a current production gun but the TiRant is SO much quieter than the B&T can. It's got me wanting to hear any future B&T cans before buying one (another friend has a B&T MP5-SD can and it's loud AF too).

posted Hide Post
well, good news

"Good evening,

The RBS 7.62 will work fine on the 7.62x39mm.

We are doing a small separate run of RBS silencers specifically for the SG 55X/PE90 series. Are you interested in one of those?

Best regards,

B&T USA"

posted Hide Post
Well, I've had a regular NATO RBS on order for a while now. If their rollout of the regular line is any indication, we may be waiting a little while for unique variants. I hope I am wrong; it should be as simple as swapping the QD part in the back; I have an email out to them regarding swapping the NATO and SF interfaces on the same RBS silencer body. I'll share their reply, when I get it.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah i had the same assumption and im also hoping for the same. Curious if these would be any benefits for the 553s. Not really sure if i need a silencer for my 550 but i'd still take one cause why not.

posted Hide Post
Lower backpressure is a boon to any gun. With the proper valve, the 55x guns are pretty good with a conventional can though.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Lower backpressure is a boon to any gun. With the proper valve, the 55x guns are pretty good with a conventional can though.

yeah for sure, i just mean 55x connectors. only the 553LB has the machined flashhider iirc. SIG only offers valves for 553s suppressed as well. I would still like to get just get a 553 upper to use with my 550 lower as I already have a spare BCG instead of having to drop 4k for the same gun but with a shorter barrel.....

posted Hide Post
The 553LB, 550, 551LB, and 551 all have machined flash hiders of varying dimensions. It wouldn't surprise me if there are small numbers of some or all of the above mentioned models with threaded muzzles too. The LB guns can be either 550 dimensions or NATO dimensions (technically they're all NATO OD, but some have different lengths and grooves); this is so long as they are completely capable rifles, and not neutered import variants, which have smaller ODs. The 551SB is it's own thing, with an OD smaller than NATO on all available "variants", that I know of. The LB variants I mentioned, with the shorter and NATO grooved machined hiders, are already compatible with a number of available silencers.

posted Hide Post
any experience shooting the 553 suppressed in 556? JDI says it sucks but im sure it's probably better than a commando AR suppressed.

posted Hide Post
Almost all of my time behind a 5.56 553 is with a silencer; mostly a Gemtech HALO, but also a Griffin M4SDK. It is not quiet enough, in my opinion, to shoot without ear protection. If JDI is referring to the sound level, then I guess I see what he's saying, but it's not any "suckier" than any other ~9" 5.56 weapon. If he is referring to gassiness, I have found that using the quad rail deflects gas in an unfavorable way, when compared to the plastic handguards.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Almost all of my time behind a 5.56 553 is with a silencer; mostly a Gemtech HALO, but also a Griffin M4SDK. It is not quiet enough, in my opinion, to shoot without ear protection. If JDI is referring to the sound level, then I guess I see what he's saying, but it's not any "suckier" than any other ~9" 5.56 weapon. If he is referring to gassiness, I have found that using the quad rail deflects gas in an unfavorable way, when compared to the plastic handguards.

Would you use the 553 for HD? I'm tied between a 553 suppressed or an MP5/MP5K suppressed.

posted Hide Post
Well that's almost an apples to oranges thing; if I were having to decide between those two, I believe I'd go MP5. The barrel length of the 553 seems to perhaps cancel out any advantages of the 5.56; that's just me assuming though, as I am no ballistics expert. The 553 is larger and heavier than an MP5 too. The MP5 will be much quieter; a suppressed 5.56 AR15 with a very short barrel will be quieter as well, in my experience. I love the 55X guns, but the 553 is an odd one, when we really try to practically apply it; think about the reactions we get, when we talk about an AR with a barrel under 10". The 553 often gets a pass, because of the cool factor, but it's usability is limited.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well that's almost an apples to oranges thing; if I were having to decide between those two, I believe I'd go MP5. The barrel length of the 553 seems to perhaps cancel out any advantages of the 5.56; that's just me assuming though, as I am no ballistics expert. The 553 is larger and heavier than an MP5 too. The MP5 will be much quieter; a suppressed 5.56 AR15 with a very short barrel will be quieter as well, in my experience. I love the 55X guns, but the 553 is an odd one, when we really try to practically apply it; think about the reactions we get, when we talk about an AR with a barrel under 10". The 553 often gets a pass, because of the cool factor, but it's usability is limited.

surely rounds like the mk318 and m855a1 can still perform well from the 8.9" barrel though, right? I currently have a KAC OHG in jail for my usp45t so im not sure if it would even be worth the money and time to go MP5.

posted Hide Post
I have read about 5.56 rounds that perform better than others, out of super short barrels. You'd have to ask someone smarter than me about those rounds, compared to high-performance 9mm rounds out of whatever barrel length the MP5 has. To me, even if the 5.56 has a performance edge, it might still be worth looking at something else, due to the size, weight, and noise factors. An AR15 will have better stats in all those categories. The 553 will have an edge over the AR15, when it comes to reliability using such a short barrel, with a silencer not attached; but, in your use-case, the silencer will always be on there.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Hornady Interlock HD BLACK is optimized for SBR's....mainly quicker powder for less flash and better velocity. It's no substitute for inches however.

https://www.hornady.com/ammuni...lock-hd-sbr-black#!/

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dave at JDI is spoiled and prefers his 533 in 300 blackout. Its his favorite sig rifle and he loves the subs. Me too! My 553 sb is fine and about the same as my other sb rifles in 556. Yes it is hard to beat 300 blackout but i still prefer suppressing my 553 sb even in 556.