SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Considering my first form 1 sbr. How painful is the process
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering my first form 1 sbr. How painful is the process Login/Join 
Picture of PakRatJR
posted
It has been way too many years since I last looked into this.

I picked up a new project a while back and finally decided to start in on it. I'm trying to decide what I want to do with it and am basically down to two options. Deactivated wall hanger or functional sbr.

I do know you can e-file now, which is nice, but digging around on line..... I guess I'm on info overload right now lol Smile
Basically how "painful" is the whole process right now. What can I look forward to. What do I "really" need to know?

As I understand things so far, a bunch has change regarding personal vs trust? Is one still better than the other? What else is all involved with things if I go the sbr route. I don't have anyone else I would add to a trust if I did that.

Serial numbers??? It has the original number on it. Is that a thing? I have seen mention of fingerprints, I guess that would be a easy enough thing. I'm guessing I will need to dig a bit for any WI specific requirements? I know we used to be really good and " easy" with that type of stuff. I really don't know anymore tho.

Any thoughts, insights, advice, websites that give a nice straightforward easy walkthrough ect. would be very appreciated. I'm feeling a bit over my head with things right now lol Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PakRatJR,

Posts: 479 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I am not a lawyer; however, forum member heavyd is and I unreservedly recommend his "trust" service.

Even with the current fingerprint/photo requirements, a trust probably still makes sense (it does for me, at least... it means my wife, F-I-L, and best friend-- all on the trust-- can possess my NFA stuff either now or after I'm pushing up daisies.)

Posts: 2449 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
With efile, it's a simple and relatively quick process. Biggest headache is how clunky the ATF efile site actually is...like it was designed in 1990 or something.

If your gun already has a serial number, use that.

You can see if your local LEO will fingerprint you, go to a service like Identigo to have it done, or try it yourself. You can get the appropriate FBI print cards for free from ATF.

Standard passport pictures are easily obtainable at CVS.

There are also now a number of FFL holding engravers who can put your info on your receiver, if you don't have a local place to do it. If you have to ship, that can add a layer of annoyance, but turnaround is usually quick. I'm lucky that I have a local FFL holding engraver, so I can just drive and wait about 30 minutes for the work.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
This thread in the Rifle Room has some good info --> https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2460089874

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Standard passport pictures are easily obtainable at CVS.

You don’t need to go to CVS, or anywhere for that matter. It’s a digital picture. Just take a selfie with your phone and upload it.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Cool thanks Cool

I will definitely hit up heavyd about the the trust.

For the engraving, that was actually one of the things I haven't been able to find a definitive answer about. I have a guy at work that is a FFL and could do the engraving for me. He has done a few SBRs and suppressors for himself and does the engraving as part of his business. He did say tho that he didn't actually know if it would need to be engraved as a individual.

All his stuff is trust and he has never actually done anything other than trust related in all the years he has been doing things.

I did actually set up a account with ATF last night and started "flipping through" things. I was actually a bit confused about the "manufacturer" section. Everything I had seen so far has been about the paper forms and said to put my name and address but the online form didn't seem to want to take it. I did actually find that link from the rifle room where in mentions using FMI instead. No clue what that actually means tho. Razz

I will also hit up AR15 dot com. I noticed that mentioned as well. And I guess I need to make a couple phone calls if I end up doing the trust. I do have a couple people I could....probably should....add just in case lol Big Grin

Posts: 479 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that FMI is only used when you are making your own suppressor, or using an 80% receiver. If you are SBRing a completed lower or gun from Colt, PSA, HK, etc., they are the manufacturer. You are the maker, that’s usually not the same thing.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I believe that FMI is only used when you are making your own suppressor, or using an 80% receiver. If you are SBRing a completed lower or gun from Colt, PSA, HK, etc., they are the manufacturer. You are the maker, that’s usually not the same thing.

Thanks. It's actually a Sterling parts kit that I would be building up. I guess that's why I was unsure about it. It will be a part re-welded and part new repaired receiver with a semi conversion. I really don't want to put a ugly long barrel on it and I REALLY don't want to weld the cool stock shut lol Big Grin

Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Well..... I went with a trust, set up through heavyd Smile Paperwork is in hand for that. Now I just need to figure out where to get two witnesses...... and get a appointment somewhere to get it notarized. I'm not sure I even know enough people for that lol Big Grin Confused Guess I need to start going through my phone book Smile