SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    B&T FNP90 Suppressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B&T FNP90 Suppressor Login/Join 
posted
paging P220Smudge. I picked up the above which we discussed in the past for a P90. Holy batman. Longer and heavier than a surefire RC3. I can't even imagine why. Cross that one off your options list. The QD is nicely designe and I'm sure solves any alignment issues, but its really not QD.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Lol! Big Grin

Thanks for the feedback on it. I think by price alone, it was out of the running for what’s purely a fun range toy for me. When I finally paper mine, I’ll just do the CMMG 1/2x28 and a Griffin taper mount device of some flavor and then I can use my Explorr on it. I got to check it out in person last week when I picked up the comp that comes with it - that can is silly light. I’d thought about using a .22 can that’s rate for 5.7, but if I can stick a 5.56 can on it, I may as well.

Let me know what you think when you get to shoot it. I’m curious what you’ll think about how it suppresses. Something I hadn’t thought of before now, but now I’m curious about is port pop. I’d have to think the magazine being where it is would mitigate a fair bit of it, but maybe not. Blowback gun, and face right above the chamber makes me wonder.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
based on some infrequent internet reports and some comments here I'm not even going to try my .22cans on it as I think that's asking a lot for a .22 can, even if they rated them. I find it a bit odd that the ratings on 5.7 never have a barrel length so I'm always suspicious they tested on the pistol, not the same as the P90 or the PS90.

Edited to add. With that much volume it better be darn quiet...

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Please pardon me if this comes off as rude. If someone already has a 5.56 suppressor, why wouldn't you simply use an adapter to use your existing can? I understand a 5.7 suppressor doesn't need to be as beefy as a 5.56 can, so you should be able to get a lighter dedicated can.

I realize the PS90 is direct blowback, and apparently overgassing can damage the rifle, but I have not heard if any specific can is a problem. If that's the case, then perhaps a Huxwrx or Silencerco Ventum is appropriate.

For pistols, though, I understand completely. There are/were few dedicated 5.7 cans on the market. Mostly manufacturers just tried to push their 22LR cans into the role. I purchased a GSL 5.7 can for my Rock, and it's currently in jail. I am worried about its long-term durability, due to it being all aluminum, despite the warranty. Maxim Defense has a titanium core dedicated 5.7 can I wish I knew about for nearly the same money, and I kick myself for not finding it first.

The reason I went GSL is due to the greater volume than my Dead Air Mask and Rugged Oculus. Both of them being 1" diameter and the GSL being 1.25". The Maxim Defense is 1.4" Mad. Oh, well.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re going to use a suppressor on a carbine sized weapon, there is no reason to not use a 5.56 can. It’s one thing on a pistol, where the weight and physical size can have big impacts, but those are less important on a carbine sized weapon. Also, .22lr cans are sized for .22lr gas volume and pressure, which are a lot less than 5.7 generates. Just because a .22 is physically built to handle 5.7, doesn’t mean that it’s a good suppressor for that caliber. Also, for back pressure, I’d expect that a small volume .22 can may have more than a bigger 5.56 can.

I tried an Oculus on my CMMG 8” RDB in 5.7, and it worked, but started unscrewing itself, and I got an endcap strike. After that, I put a Griffin Taper mount adapter on, not only for a better mounting system, but also to use my taper mount 5.56 cans.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My situation is a bit odd on 5.56 cans as I use surefire and thus mounting is an issue on guns that I can't or won't (the p90 situation) put a surefire muzzle device on. I like B&T stuff, in general, so this maybe a good option, but it certainly surprised me on its size as I didn't really study it very much before I bought it.
At the moment I'm waiting on the correct muzzle device but we will see how it goes once I get i.
On my cmmg I am going to give one of my surefire cans a try. I'm not going to bother suppressing the 5.7 pistols at the moment.