SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    If you ever wondered about traveling/flying with a suppressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you ever wondered about traveling/flying with a suppressor Login/Join 
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted
I'll start by saying I'm not a lawyer, nor is this legal advice. This is what I was able to find out by calling various government and state agencies.

I live in a suppressor friendly state and am flying to a suppressor friendly state. However, the airport I'm using is located in a state that doesn't allow suppressors and I couldn't find anything, anywhere that would explain if this was going to be an issue or not.

First off, the airline allows the transport of suppressors and outlined how they are to be transported. Check.

Next, the BATF&E does not require a 5320.20 to transport suppressors over state lines. Check.

I called the state police barracks located at the airport and explained what I was trying to do. The first time I called they transferred me to TSA where they said they don't have any issue but it's a state police issue. So I called the state police barracks and got a Sargent who fielded my questions. Here's the summary:

Interstate transportation of firearms is allowed so long as they're transported according to the statute (18 U.S. Code § 926A). As for transporting suppressors (considered firearms) as long as all the appropriate paperwork (tax stamp, trust paperwork, etc.) can be provided to show that the person can legally own the suppressor he, the officer that I spoke with, would not make an issue of it. Check?

I've traveled through this airport before with firearms and standard capacity mags that are illegal in this state. No objection was made at the ticket counter and no problem with the state. If an objection was made, I don't know how it would have ended up.

So that's the best I am able to come up with. Here's section 926A below for reference.

§926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
My opinion, I would never voluntarily make it known to the state that I was planning on coming through with a suppressor or standard capacity mags. Better yet I'd find a way around having to fly into the state at all. Certain NE states have a policy of flagrantly violating the supposed "peaceful journey" laws when it comes to folks traveling through their borders. That's just my $0.02 though.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Wave off, wave off! EJECT EJECT EJECT!!!!

What happens when your flight gets cancelled mid-trip? Now you're wandering around Indian country with illegal goods.

Do NOT do this. Drive, find another flight, or don't go.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I drive through Illinois with my suppressor on a cased rifle in the back.

I would never, ever, ever even think about setting foot in the motherfucking state of New Jersey with so much as a single round of 9mm. Same goes for New York.

So I guess, in my opinion, my suggestion is, it depends.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:

I've traveled through this airport before with firearms and standard capacity mags that are illegal in this state. No objection was made at the ticket counter and no problem with the state. If an objection was made, I don't know how it would have ended up.

Depending on the state, I think this is very risky. Bringing state-banned firearms related items into the state that bans them, even for the sake of travel, has gotten others busted in the past. I don't have specific links but I remember reading about it here in the past when flights were diverted to a non-friendly state.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I flew there and back with no issues whatsoever. The JetBlue baggage agents didn't even blink an eye or count how many guns,suppressors or how much ammo I brought with me (much more than the 11 lb limit). I declared a piece of luggage with firearms and they wrote up the slip, had me sign it and confirmed that I locked the case both ways.

As always, YMMV.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
posted Hide Post
I see it worked this time, and maybe before with standard cap mags - but I honestly feel like you're getting lucky. I trust TSA agents about as far as I can throw them, and all it will take is for one guy to be an asshole, or your friendly police Sgt to be on vacation the day you decide to transport it, and you're going to jail.

They aren't saying it's not illegal, they're saying they won't make an issue of it. If state law says it's illegal - I don't know what else to tell you.

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema

Posts: 4599 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
As cited above, as long as the item is legal to own in the starting and ending destinations, the states traveled inbetween will honor the transport so long as the firearm and its contents are stored in accordance with the law.

The TSA doesn't care and they aren't allowed to open the case anyways. What matters is if the airline will accept firearms as checked luggage. If they do, the airline agents are instructed to put a tag in a case of any declared firearm, make sure its locked and the owner is the only one with the key. It's standard operating procedure and they don't record serial numbers or anything to identify individual pieces of the contents of the declared luggage.

At the end of the day, do what you're comfortable with. I'm just letting people know that I've done this twice and it was extremely smooth each time flying out of Boston. Other states/airports may not be so smooth so flyer beware.

Bamf
posted Hide Post
I know what you're saying.. but these ultra commie leftist stayed up there in NE might not care. Just be careful, that's not an argument you ever want to have to present in court.

Posts: 4599 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I wonder if one could avoid the entire airline/TSA/unfriendly-state thing by sending the suppressor via Fedex to your own attention, held for pickup at a FedEx office in the destination state, and do the same to get it home? Would that be legal?

Posts: 14996 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO FUCKING WAY

Revell v. Port Authority

Your flight gets cancelled you are fucked.

If I can't go non stop, I would ship the guns to myself.

Not cheap but not worth the hassles if my flight gets cancelled.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
posted Hide Post
Saw this video and thought of this thread.

https://youtu.be/HyHzVsdWBfM

posted Hide Post
Too many incidents. Never trust LE in those Commie held states.

Posts: 471 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post