SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Gun Trust vs. LLC for NFA Items
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Trust vs. LLC for NFA Items Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
What are the pros and cons of a Gun Trust vs. an LLC for NFA items? One of my local dealers will not accept a Trust from anyone...had quite a few issues getting items through ATF because of them. Probably badly written by a not so knowledgable attorney. He only accepts LLC's to transfer NFA items and many attorneys he has as clients also have their own LLC instead of a trust. Curious as to why, one better than the other?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3629 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Trust > LLC

depending on state it gets costly to renew a LLC annually...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd find a new dealer, then. I would say that 75% of my NFA sales are trust sales and I have never had a rejected form. I funnel most of my customers to NFA Lawyers (SF member owned).

Using an LLC would require registration of the entity with the state (may not be required for a trust - check state laws) or filing of biennial reports like an LLC. The LLC's documents are also generally available to the public and may include your address (unless you are paying somebody to serve as registered agent.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Dump that dealer and tell him why. I have an LLC for my side business but still used a trust. The LLC does cost money to renew annually. It's not much, but the trust seemed simpler for firearms.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An LLC requires an annual filing and a fee.

Forget to do both and the state of the LLC will dissolve it.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trust > LLC because the NFA is designed to work with trusts and there are no annual filing requirements.

Sounds like a solution looking for a non-existent problem (besides that one dealer).

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post