SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    First Shots With Dead Air Mask
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Shots With Dead Air Mask Login/Join 
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted
I picked up my new Mask on 30 March, but today was the first opportunity I’ve had to take it out to try it. My host was my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical with a SightMark MRDS. Of course, the Ruger has very little recoil anyway, but with the can on it the recoil was all but non-existent. And so quiet (Duh…). What a joy to shoot! I only put 50 rounds through it, at 10 yards. Accuracy was good, considering I hadn’t shot in many months. No target pictures, as the indoor range I was at doesn’t allow cell phone use or photos or videos. I kept most of them inside the 12 spots on the target. Spots on the target were probably 4” or so.

Next time I’ll put it on my 10/22 TD with the TacSol SBX barrel. It might be a while until I get the chance, though…

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1674 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Suppressed rimfire shooting really is the most fun use of a can. I don’t know that I’ve shot any of my .22s in years with a can attached.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Suppressed rimfire shooting really is the most fun use of a can. I don’t know that I’ve shot any of my .22s in years with a can attached.

I am right there with you. I grab the threaded pistols and rifles way more than anything else. I do like to take a revolver to the range each time though and none of those are threaded (for me anyway)

Posts: 140 | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping my Mask stamp will be coming in over the next month or so. Fingers crossed. It will be going onto a very similar host.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I'm hoping my Mask stamp will be coming in over the next month or so. Fingers crossed. It will be going onto a very similar host.

I’m sure you’ll be very pleased as I am.

SigFan

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1674 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

I’m sure you’ll be very pleased as I am. Cool

SigFan

posted Hide Post
Bought my first 22 can, Pilot 2, based on price. Was satisfied with it.
Then got a Mask. What a difference. No pop.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
DA Mask is my preferred can. A bolt action CZ 455 with CCI Quiet makes literally no sound.
Here's CCI Quiet product info :
Featuring a 75% reduction in perceived noise as compared to that of standard velocity .22 LR, CCI Quiet 22 is an ideal choice for backyard plinking, introducing youth to the shooting sports, or shooting in areas where noise may be a concern.

With excellent accuracy, low velocity (710 feet per second), and better performance than an air rifle with similar noise levels, this is a must have for recreational and competitive shooters.

Features and Specifications:
Manufacturer Number: 960
.22 LR
Bullet Weight: 40 Grains
Bullet Type: Lead Round Nose Projectile
Velocity: 710 fps
Volume: 68 Decibels at shooters ear
50 Rounds per box

No hearing protection required.

*These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual cycling of the action may be required.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two rimfire cans; a Dead Air Mask and a Liberty Regulator. Very different construction (baffles versus mono core) but very similar performance. I couldn't choose between the two, but you can't go wrong with the Mask.

Posts: 779 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Dead Air Mask HD that went into jail a week ago. Hopefully its approval comes along for the ride with my SureFire 30-caliber can for my Blackout that's currently at 98 days in ATF Jail. I'm going to pick up a Dead Air GHOST 45M too to cover the pistol uses, too, but I doubt I"ll be able to get a three-for-one approval there.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I keep my Mask on my 10/22 TD and shoot primarily Gemtech subsonics. It works great. I have an old Huntertown on my MkIV 22/45. For a cheapo, it works really well on that pistol with the same ammo.

I know there is some reduction in the noise with standard velocity rounds, but I don't notice much with either can to be honest. Good thing I have umpteen thousands of the Gemtechs.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I like the way the Dead Air Mask fits on to the 22/45 Lite, just kind of blends right on. MY family and friend love shooting this setup, it is a lot of fun.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16596 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Octagun
posted Hide Post
I just got my Mask back a few weeks ago, took about 13 months. It’s my first rimfire can and I’m very happy with it so far.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Octagun,

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 04, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yep, love my Mask. Use it on my Thompson TRC22 and My Ruger mark IV when I can get the guns out of my girlfriends hands.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Octagun:
I just got my Mask back a few weeks ago, took about 13 months. It’s my first rimfire can and I’m very happy with it so far.

Nice setup there. I like your grip panels color-matched to the top end; very sharp!

SigFan

Picture of Octagun
posted Hide Post
Thank you, they are VZ double diamonds in case you are interested.

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 04, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neverenoughguns:
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

I am right there with you. I grab the threaded pistols and rifles way more than anything else. I do like to take a revolver to the range each time though and none of those are threaded (for me anyway)

haha bought one of those heritage rough rider tacticals because they were cheap and I thought to myself there's no way this can work. Took it to the range, put my mask on it, and just what I thought would happen... It was damn near louder with the suppressor than without.

But I do like my mask on everything else

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call me stupid. I have no idea why a revolver with a can wouldn't have some meaningful reduction in sound. The pressure and sound vents in the cylinder gap with the can attached> anyway no idea... some explaination

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Agree that this can is awesome.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I took my Mask to the range again today; it just makes me so happy!

SigFan