SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Please suggest a can
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please suggest a can Login/Join 
posted
I'm currently looking to get into another can. I have a 22, 9 and 308 can so far. My 308 can is an ops inc and I like it but that's a huuuge bitch. As well the mounting system while available is a bit of a PITA. I'm looking at the Silencerco Omega 36m for my 556 6.5 308 and maybe 338LM (focus on the smaller stuff) but I'd like to know if I should be looking at anything else. My criteria are

Tone
Ease of mounting
Multicaliber endcaps for better suppression
Lighter weight
MIL/LE program is a plus but not required
Hearing safe/DB meter numbers
Anything else I'm missing criteria wise

Appreciate the help in advance.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was out at JP Blue Steel Ranch and nearly everyone had a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 in my class.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know of tests for a suppressor's "tone". It's really about how many decibels of noise reduction. I find that different calibers have different "pitches" -- 223 Remy's sound is a high-pitched bark the 300 BLK or 308 Win.

I suspect most cans fall into a direct-thread (screw on) or a quick-detach method. I have both. Direct-thread is slower and is prone to loosening, especially with new barrels & semi-autos. A properly-designed quick-detach mount is pretty nice.

Lighter weight suppressors may be less durable than heavier ones. Titanium suppressors will generally weigh less, and still be pretty burly. Avoid aluminum cans for a rifle. Lighter cans will shift the POI less than heavier cans.

I've never experienced a suppressed supersonic rifle round that was hearing safe. The closest was a long-barreled 6BR bolt action with a TBAC 338 can. Still not hearing safe for the shooter, but OK for an observer maybe 20-30 feet behind the shooter. Centerfire rifles tend to have bare muzzle noise levels of 160-165 dB. The best cans reduce that noise to 130-135 dB, which still isn't hearing safe. Using a suppressor allows safe noise levels with only one level of hearing pro -- there's no need for both plugs and muffs.

Multicaliber end caps generally change suppression rates by only 2-3 dB. Given the relative noise levels of rifles, this isn't enough for the vast majority of humans ears to differentiate. I have only one 223 suppressor, which I now dedicate to one bolt action rifle. All my other 223 Remy, 300 BLK, 6 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 308 Win rifles use 30-caliber cans.

If you want suppress a 338-caliber rifle, I recommend buying a true 338 caliber can.

I have a mixture of Thunderbeast Arms and Surfire SOCOM suppressors. The TBAC cans are quieter, and are built for high accuracy. I like the QD attachments for the SOCOMs, and they're plenty accurate for even my demands.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Most new cans will come threaded 1.375x 24 to allow different mounting systems.
The 2 leading mounting systems are Dead Air Keymo—($$$ and heavy)vs Yankee Hill Machine - ($).
These are the most reliable, easy to use mounting systems.
Look at the Energetic Arms Vox. Lightweight, 5.9”, aerospace technology (C300 managing steel).

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Avoid this one

Posts: 107228 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
OMG, that thing launched!

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Also thank you for the suggestions so far. Lots to look into.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also worth mentioning most of my shooting will be 223/556 but some 30 cal with 300blk 308 and 30-06. The other calibers will be shot less if at all. Honestly with my 338LM I love my brake and might not like it with anything less.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
For a QD can check out the Dead Air and Rugged offerings. Been very happy with mine from these manufacturers.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^^ Solid advice there. I like Silencerco, but their designs are needing something new. Rugged and Dead Air are the top of the heap IMO.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6990 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a SOCOM Mini for my 223/556 with the QD on the Rifle(s). It's not the quietest can but it's quite a bit smaller than my SOCOM RC2 for my SCAR17.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I am currently looking at the OSS series it has a design to exhaust the gas out the front so it would be a great help for lefties as well as right hand shooters.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OSS cans are only really useful if you need low back pressure, because they are fairly high in price, and somewhat low in actual suppression. If you have guns that are gassy and can’t easily incorporate adjustable gas blocks or other mitigation techniques, then they are useful. I’ve got a 5.56 OSS in jail right now, but I only got it for use on a few specific guns like my Tavor X95.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I would go Omega 36m but consider a Omega 300, if it was a good sale price.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Another vote for SiCo's Omega 300

Posts: 3992 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post