SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Way to change barrel length/caliber on Form 1 SBR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Way to change barrel length/caliber on Form 1 SBR? Login/Join 
Picture of sjames
posted
I’m sure this has been asked and answered before but I couldn’t find a thread.

I’ve got a Form 1 SBR in 6.5 Grendel that I’d like to change. I’m planning to divest myself of 6.5G. I know the simple answer is to keep the upper so it can be reassembled to what’s on the form but I want to sell all of my Grendel stuff and move on.

Is there a form to submit to the ATF? Any way to make this work?

Thanks for your help

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The short answer is you probably don't need to worry about it. I respect your attitude though.

I'd say a letter to the NFA branch is likely the right answer. If I were doing it, I'd compose it similarly to a request to remove something from the registry. I am assuming you will not get a revised form1 with a stamp on it in return, but you'll likely get a letter acknowledging the receipt of your note, which you can keep with the original form1, in the event your stuff is ever scrutinized. Also, I'd be perfectly comfortable proceeding immediately with your changes, so long as you have a copy of the letter you sent and the receipt from the post office to keep with the form1, until an official reply is received.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
That seems like a well-reasoned approach and in line with what I’ve seen in regards to removing something from the NFA. In other words, they may send you a letter acknowledging your letter but could be a year before they reply.

I agree that the likelihood of this ever being a significant issue is nil. But, like the rest of the folks here, I want to make sure I’ve done all I can to be right by the law.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no form to submit. These are the instructions at the very bottom of the Form 1.

Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

That’s all there is.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Assuming this is for an AR, you should be notifying the ATF of a 'Permanent Modification' to your SBR. You would either pick an Upper Receiver in your possession that you'd use for the new SBR configuration of record, or purchase/assemble a new one. Then take some measurements and provide the ATF with the data for this new SBR Config:

4c. Caliber: 'X.XX'
4e. Length of Barrel: 'X.X'
4f. Length Overall: 'X.X'

While temporary modifications are permitted, you should always retain the Upper Receiver for the Configuration on the Form 1. Any 'Permanent Modification' requires notification to the ATF. No form exists for this purpose...You just notify them in writing by sending a letter to the address on the Form 1 as indicated be 'Dwill104'.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
There is no form to submit. These are the instructions at the very bottom of the Form 1.

Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

That’s all there is.

Thank you for that. I should have looked at those instructions myself.

Truth be told, to cover my ass, I may very well send hat letter in, preserve my correspondence, sell my Grendel stuff, and buy the cheapest Grendel barrel I can find that will fit the original description.

Thanks again for the replies. Hopefully this will help others too.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^You are not limited to Grendal here. You can change to any Caliber you want to, provided the Upper Receiver will work with the Registered Lower.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure why you would buy anything. Send the ATF a letter telling them you are changing to whatever in caliber and length (note, IMO you have to have some configuration with a caliber and length so you can't just sell everything and have an SBR lower sitting around) and keep a record that you sent it. Then sell your upper stuff.
Or you can remove it all from the registry via the same method of notice and then you can sell everything, but it takes forever to get the ATF to tell you its removed so you would actually be way better off selling the whole as an SBR and transfer it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post