SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    OSS HX-QD 556 impressions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OSS HX-QD 556 impressions Login/Join 
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
The OSS representative that my LGS spoke to said that the 7.62 cans are getting the flash hider treatment in the very near future.

Nice. I have a Dead Air Wolverine in jail, so I will most likely go with the Titanium, but dang that starting price is high. I could go with any number of suppressors for that price with a more robust mounting system, if low/no back pressure wasn’t necessary.

Posts: 2007 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Considering the 553 is off the table for now, I installed the OSS on a Sig 516 7" piston gun. Initial impressions are...

Due to stuff in the can left-over from manufacturing, or lubricant in the barrel of that gun, the first few shots were particularly smoky. This allowed me to see all the gas being pushed out through the silencer, which was neat.

I shot a 12-shot drill twice. This particular drill will make my eyes sting with most guns; piston or DI, tuned or not. No sting to speak of with the OSS, so that seems like a win.

I am a baby, and wear ear protection when I shoot with silencers. I shot one round without ears, and it was uncomfortable. Granted this is a can known to be a bit louder, and on a 7" barrel, so I guess that's to be expected.

The mount interface is cool, but maybe leaves something to be desired. It is reverse-thread and seats against a taper on the FH. No redundant latch mechanism. The silencer is "self-tightening", so it shouldn't come off during firing, and I don't think it will. I had read reports of the can being very difficult to remove when hot. I don't care so much about that, and have yet to try it. I waited for it to cool, and it spun right off. What I see as a worrisome aspect is the potential for the silencer to back-off before it is fired and tightens itself. This will require more time with the can, to determine the validity of the concern.

More time will be spent in general, to determine the full range of pros and cons of the HX-QD. Especially once I can get it installed on the gun I intend to use it with.

Thanks for the report. I’ve had one sitting in jail since the end of last year. I bought it specifically for a couple of gassy guns like the Tavor X95 and Beretta ARX-100.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to hold a HX556 in one hand and a HX556 titanium in the other. I went with the regular one based on stats alone, and I am glad I did. IMO, the weight savings with the titanium in their silencers isn't worth the extra cheese. The difference is evident, but minimal.

Posts: 2125 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I bought it specifically for a couple of gassy guns like the Tavor X95 and Beretta ARX-100.

I had an 18" LMT rifle that was the gassiest thing I ever shot with a silencer. I have since sold it. It would have been a great test of the OSS features.

That LMT I had was a DI gun, but I hear you loud and clear on the piston guns. Like I said, I intend to use mine on a 553. Piston guns are not immune to the ill effects of most silencers. That pressure and filth comes back through the bore too.

Posts: 2125 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot the same drill twice again, but with a Sig P556 this time. Results are odd. Recoil impulse seemed a bit rough, and I experienced a bit of gas sting in the last few rounds of each twelve-shot string. I swapped the valve out for one with a .035" port, which is what I use for other silencers, when shooting the 55X. The gun barely ejected and did not pick up another round. So the OSS silencer is certainly doing it's job, but this host was not as pleasant as the 516.

The recoil impulse could be due to the long-stroke vs short-stroke difference between those two guns, though I usually find the 55X to be quite pleasant. No real way to explain the gas sting, but it does serve to reinforce the fact that piston guns are not immune to the negative effects of silencers. It kind of bums me out too, as I really intended to use this silencer on a 553. The P556 isn't quite the same though, so i am holding out hope.

posted Hide Post
I have a bit more feedback on the "self tightening" aspect. They aren't joking. I shot it on a nine inch barrel today; ninety rounds total, through various drills; it required a wrench to remove, even after cooling down. Still not a problem for me, as far as QD functionality goes, but it's a bit annoying if the gun you're using requires the silencer's removal for regular maintenance. In this case: I couldn't remove the handguard, in order to disassemble the piston assembly, without removing the silencer.

Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
I've been using my OSS Helix 556 on some 10.5" and 16" guns with great success so far. The mounting system is simple, hand tight and quarter turn. Just make sure to have a wrench to take it off.

At first I wasn't sure how to judge the tone, but after shooting with others with and without cans, I'm glad I went with OSS. It would have been nice to use a more popular mounting system. It is great not having to change out any other part. I haven't had any issue with gas.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My department has been running OSS Helix .556 on 15 of our duty rifles, Cols EPR commando's 11.5 semi-auto. we have had zero issues with the cans or guns. The flow through design works as advertised.

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that the silencer is quite effective, in it's goal of minimizing adverse effects on the host weapon.

I wish they had some flash hiders of a more conventional prong design, or even a straight slot closed-end type. The flash hider can look a little exotic and out-of-place on some weapons. Also, there is no real internal depth stop in the flash hiders, necessitating a good shoulder on the host weapon's barrel; they'd be a tad more versatile if they were able to snug against a muzzle face, if the host lacks a strong 90-degree shoulder.

Also, the self-tightening doesn't have the opportunity to work unless shot, of course. Considering the lack of a latch or ratchet teeth of any sort, I don't feel as though the silencer can be truly secured upon initial install, unless a wrench is used. I don't know if I'd be confident in the installation, if I didn't have the opportunity to fire the weapon, to truly tighten it; snugging it with a wrench on install mitigates this concern.

posted Hide Post
Considering the favorable replies in this thread, I asked myself why the two cans I've bought since the OSS have been "conventional" silencers.

Price is certainly a factor; I got into my two recent cans for the price of one OSS. Another factor is versatility. The OSS, by design, is versatile, in that it can serve a wider range of hosts. However, the new, somewhat standard 1.375x24 thread in the rear portion of some silencers provides a different type of versatility. One of the silencers I recently purchased, with a fairly minimal additional investment, can be configured to attach to a wide range of interfaces; I opted for direct-thread and NATO attachment adapters, in addition to the one provided.

Some builds and applications just don't require the flow-through design. I think any build would benefit from it, but the reward may not be worth the extra cash, in some cases.