SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    How far do Dead Air cans with Keymo reflex back over the barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far do Dead Air cans with Keymo reflex back over the barrel? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Trying to get the last parts from my 12.5" AR-10 and I think I've run into a problem.

Am trying to finally obtain the Aero M5 Atlas handguards for my build and, whereas I swore Aero advertised them as 12" when I started this project, I know see them listed as 12.7". Another website that sells them has them listed as 12.56".

So this causes me some concern, given my barrel is 12.5" and the inner diameter of these handguards is 1.5"...and every 30 cal can out there seems to be at least 1.5" in diameter.

I had intended to get a Sandman-K (1.5" diameter) just for this gun to mitigate the horrible blast but maintain the form factor.

Does anyone know how much standoff from the handguards you get with a normal Keymo device? Would it be enough to keep the can just outside the handguards?

Thoughts?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Keymo takes up nearly the entire muzzle device. But it does not extend past over the barrel shoulder.

So you need .625" of barrel, roughly.

That 12" handguard is likely for the 13.7" barrel that Aero/Ballistic Advantage offer.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know.

I may have to go a different route for handguards, then. Looks like SLR is about my only option; they've got an 11.7" unit, which should give me enough clearance. Just about every other "short" handguard is 12.5ish.

Of course the SLR handguards are nearly double the price of the Aero precision ones. I guess it's good that they've been out of stock for months now, so I didn't waste my money. Roll Eyes

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
If the Aero is really close you can get the handguard cut down a touch. Cost and shipping aren't the worst, it's certainly less than a new rail.

Edit: I just realized you said you didn't have the Aero yet.

Centurion has a 7.62 version of their CMR in 11.5", also out of stock right now.
https://centurionarms.com/7-62-mlok-rail-11-5in-15in/

CMT makes a 11.9. Again, out of stock (seeing a trend here...)
https://www.cmttac.com/index.p...95_98&product_id=182

There are probably a few more.

Edit 2:
Aero lists an M5 upper with a 12.5" barrel and a 12" handguard. From the photos it does indeed look like it's all of 12" or more, as it partially covers an A2 birdcage

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I saw that picture as I was looking around last night. Pretty much puts the kibosh on using the Aero unit.

Thanks for those two other options; didn't see them in my searching. And, yes, there is definitely a trend in the total absence of AR10 handguards in stock these days....

Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
Rear of the Keymo or Xeno adapter is ~0.25" from the rearmost portion of the muzzle device/barrel shoulder on both mounts. If you can find a handguard that aligns with the barrel shoulder, you should have plenty of clearance.

Shown is a 15" SLR on a 16" WC barrel, Keymo with comp/blast shield.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M4Super90,

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post