SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Auto knife. Flip-open or retractable?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto knife. Flip-open or retractable? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Those are some really nice Microtech knives. I got a cheap otf knife and now want get a quality otf knife.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Been running the "Benchie" Adamas side-opener.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
I bought an HK Turmoil the moment it was announced they were discontinuing the HK line at Benchmade. It's the only double-action OTF knife that I own. I've never carried it. For me, it's just not as easy to fire versus my side-opening autos.

Well, it WAS the only OTF auto I had... added a Microtech UTX-85 just last week.

Definite quality improvement over the HK Turmoil. But, have to find a better way to carry it as I don't like the way the glass breaker jabs me in the gut when I sit down or get up.

Think I still prefer my side openers. Find myself always going back to my ProTech Godfather, Godson or TR2.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Really want that Troodon with the tanto blade.
I was looking for something in my dad's gun safe a year ago and holy hell if he didn't have a Microtech Halo in there sitting new in the box. He couldn't remember where he got it and didn't seem interested in selling it to me but at least I got to play with it for a little while.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
been wanting a Halo for some time. almost worked a trade for one a while back. guy wanted one of my karambit designs and he had a nice Halo for trade. never came to fruition, though. i have always been too cheap to buy one, outright. story of my life. same reason i don't have an STI on my hip.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Really want that Troodon with the tanto blade.
I was looking for something in my dad's gun safe a year ago and holy hell if he didn't have a Microtech Halo in there sitting new in the box. He couldn't remember where he got it and didn't seem interested in selling it to me but at least I got to play with it for a little while.

Yeah, we pulled that routine with our son the other day when he discovered the sled we got him for Christmas. "It's a what? I don't know what you're talking about. Musta got it for myself and forgot about it. Yeah, I dunno a thing about it. Hey look, a squirrel!" Big Grin

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I have a Benchmade HK MP 5 auto opener that I EDC and absolutely love. Very robust knife, much more so IMO than my utx-85. I also, on occasion, carry a Spyderco Kara Hawk G-10. Very easy to rapidly deploy and easy to learn how to use for self defense. I especially like that it is very difficult to lose your grip on this knife.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've had side folder autos for years never a problem. I've got a micro tech that doesn't get used much but after 4 or 5 openings/closing a in a row, it doesn't fully open and I have to pull it out and lock it.

Also for close quarters, the otf is way more likely to get fouled and then requires 2 hands and some effort to be useable. Not good in cqb.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post