SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    New Chef Knife Concept-Liontribe Designs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Chef Knife Concept-Liontribe Designs Login/Join 
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted
this forged W2 steel model has a shorter blade than we normally use. this one has a more general use sized blade at 6.25" and a new dark patterned etched finish. 11.25" overall length with a textured blue micarta handle.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very nice!

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Everything about that works. Eek

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks much, fellas.

dozer

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to think Chef knives with the downward sloping handle looked awkward and difficult to use. Then I realized I hardly ever use that rear part of the handle anyway, using the proper pinch grip.

Very pretty.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 232 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i know what you mean. i slowly developed this shape and style over the last few years. you want a comfy handle shape and fit, but you also want to keep those knuckles up off your work area. nothing is quite so annoying as racking those knuckles on a nice, hard cutting surface when you are trying to do quick work.

dozer

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
How to describe that grip texture?

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i actually did it by hand with a texturing bit and a foredom tool, but it is very similar to a tumbled or stonewashed finish. i actually really like how it worked out. i may have to offer it as an option in the future. it feels so nice in the hand. you can see it a little better in this shot. it almost looks fuzzy, but it isn't.

dozer

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dozer. I think that grip finish works particularly well on that knife.

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
much appreciated. i am working on some knives for my gallery at arizonacustomknives.com and i might just do a few chef designs with this type of textured handle.

dozer

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
we are doing yet another chef model and i thought it would be fun to do a work in progress thread with this one. this is forged 123sc steel with a polished hamon. it really came to life with the proper etch and polish process. it takes a while, but it is worth it. i am leaning toward zebra wood with faux ivory bolsters for the handle.

dozer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Sg7curNHXSURArh9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Vu8MgPrg556QG7V7

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
here is the finished product. went with the zebra wood alone because the ivory looked out of place with this wood. no biggie, i can use it on something else. that is why you always keep any large scrap handle material. you can always use the for spacers or bolsters down the road. this is 125sc polished within an inch of it's life and etched to show that great hamon line. the handle is fully sculpted and shaped and polished to match that wonderful blade. stabilized and sealed so it should last a thousand years! i actually did some hard facets on the handle just to be showy, but i feel that they would just be hot spots for anyone using this for extended time in the kitchen. i would rather it be functional than pretentious. this is right up there with the best chef models i have ever made.

dozer
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vuz7zVLREcfvj4im8

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
My favorite handle color

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
Thanks. This one really is unique. I am using a few new techniques and it really is improving the overall product these days. You gotta keep trying to improve your work.

dozer

posted Hide Post
Gawd D I really like this one. Eek

The Zebra Wood handle looks outstanding!!

Is this one for a client or is going to be posted in the classifieds?

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
It wasn't a commission, but it has already been purchased.

dozer

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Looks awesome and I really like the scale texture⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks, my friend. i am working on something really fun for summer. we are doing a run of what i am calling Brisket Sabres. this is for all my BBQ masters out there.

dozer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GvqKmjdZTJ3QJX6w5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ug7opH5xMkkCS8eo7

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
here is an amazing 7.0" Dark Chef in 52100 with a great hamon. i took this one up to 2000 grit before etching and it paid off nicely. the handle is stabilized olive wood with offset natural micarta tubes. this one deserves a harness leather with copper appointments. this one has much attention to detail. polished and rounded spine with a distal taper. handle is fully sculpted and faceted with a nice polish after being sanded up to 1000 grit. that high grit really works with olive wood.

dozer
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QSigUwFPyTL6k3aLA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jA5dE431uvjSfZrcA

posted Hide Post
quote:
here is an amazing 7.0" Dark Chef in 52100 with a great hamon.

THAT is beautiful.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 232 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post