SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Full House Custom project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Full House Custom project Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted
I'd like this forum's opinions as to the top-3 knife smiths one would contact, if you were interested in commissioning a single custom, fixed blade knife (not meant for production beyond a single piece) based on a design of their choosing. I realize such an endeavor will be pricey so please spare the comments on that front. Also if you are a knife smith, please don't respond to this post as I would appreciate independent viewpoints.

Here's what I have in mind...
An integral knife made from M390 or CTS-XHP steel with a blade between 5 - 5.2" in length. As far as the shape of the blade, it would consist of some complex grinds, closely resembling that of a CRKT Panache (with some minor changes to the ricasso + thumb ramp and elimination of the finger choil).

As far as handle options, I'm leaning towards using the reinforced rosewood scales from a Hogue EX-F01 as it fits my hand very well, I enjoy the grip texture and it has an impact pommel. If I go that route, the integral knife's handle must exactly conform to that of the scales - including the pommel, tang, rivet & lanyard locations.

I look forward to everyone's feedback on this potential project.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by integral?

Top 3? Man, that will be very subjective.

You'll have to find someone who works in those steels, and will want to make a knife to your design.

Maybe Dan Crotts? He is a former Bob Dozer employee who now is on his own. He makes knives similar to what I think you have in mind, in terms of method. Can't cost you anything other than a phone call. Bob Dozer, the man himself, too, but I don't know at all if makes knives other than to his own designs.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Just depends on how deep your pockets are.Claudio Sobral, Buenos Aires Argentina. One of the best, period….. Google Sobral Brothers, Argentina

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
First off, I think you want a knifemaker who does stock removal, not a forged blade. The term "smith" is usually used when referring to bladesmiths that forge. When you refer to integral do you mean the bolster or the bolster and an end cap? Very few do full integrals. I'd suggest you go to the custom area and the makers "knives for sale area" on Blade Forums. Some really good makers and someone like Phillip Patton might be a good choice.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Phil is a GREAT guy and a fantastic maker also! I had him make my Wedding band from Stainless Damascus. Don’t know about the integrals though..

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
You need a Facebook account access the link.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I think this is a tough question for a lot of reasons.

Most knife makers tend to work within a fairly specific aesthetic and functional style, so you've got to find a knife maker whose personal style is a good fit for what you want. "The best knife maker in the world" might not want to work with you or might not be able to do a good job making what you want if his personal style is very divergent from what you're looking for.

Sorry, but I do have to make one comment on the cost factor. You ask for "top 3," but you need to be aware, if you're not, that cost varies WILDLY across makers and doesn't necessarily reflect the actual cost of the work and materials. Based on your description, there are plenty of knife makers that could do a beautiful job for something in the hundreds of dollars. There are also very in-demand knife makers that would charge you thousands and take years to get to the knife if you could even get them to take the job.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post