SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Gransfors Bruks grind angle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gransfors Bruks grind angle? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I hit a rock with my small forest axe whilst cutting kindling the other day and took a chip out of the edge.

I'm planning on fixing that today on my WorkSharp but was curious if anyone knew what the grind angle is on these. I'm guessing a convex at 30 - 35 or thereabouts, but it would be nice to know for sure what they put on at the factory.

Thanks.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only reference I've ever seen for grind angle on GBA heads is specifically for straight bevel axes (carpenter's axe, carving axe or broad axe). Factory specs are 25-30 degrees for those. I've never seen a spec for their forest axes or any full convex bevel. I use an axe file, round stone, and a sharpie to match the existing bevel.

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thanks pace. I put about 30 degrees on it. Got the chip out and it's in arm hair shaving condition again.

I don't have a puck (ordered one today), but the WorkSharp did a great job.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bdavis
posted Hide Post
FWIW I found my Gransfors Bruck manual and it says the edge should be 25-30 degrees and straight grind. Not hollow grind if I can guess on the Swedish and the pictures.

Good luck

Posts: 4128 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
A little off topic but how do ya like the worksharp sharpener?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
A little off topic but how do ya like the worksharp sharpener?

Big fan of the WorkSharp. Their blade attachment is a must have for axes and mower blades.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Gus, is this what you are talking about?

Attachment

David W.

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yup. That's it.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Thanks

David W.