SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco - What is your experience with their China made knives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco - What is your experience with their China made knives Login/Join 
posted
Spyderco offers more affordable knives made in China - does anyone have experience with these? What is the quality. I typically avoid purchasing made in China items if I can. How do they hold up? Is the quality there?

Posts: 249 | Location: Lebanon, PA | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, I bought a Tenacious when they first came out and I was (still am) impressed with the knife, especially for the price point.

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You.

Posts: 249 | Location: Lebanon, PA | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I've owned a Tenacious as well. It was noticeably cheaper made, sharper edges and less refinement to the fit, not as smooth of a pivot. Which makes sense, given the price point.

My main complaint is the 8Cr13MoV steel, it wears too quickly for my taste doing general tasks like boxes and light cutting. But the blade is a nice slicer, quality Syderco feel and handling, solid lockup. I'd get back into that lineup if they made a slightly premium version with a different steel. That knife was stolen out of a vehicle some years back so I don't have it any more.

I now have a Byrd rescue folding knife. It hasn't been used as it's just a glovebox knife. But the same thoughts apply vs. the Delica/Endura - cheaper materials, cheaper fit/finish, solid handling and lockup. I don't like the Byrd line's thumbhole shape, I found out.

Edit:
I would say that if you're looking for a nice Spyderco knife the Chinese made knives are not what you should go for. These are functional knives, and are a decent value, especially if you find them on sale or something.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
If it's something like their Bug, Honeybee, or Grasshopper, they're cheap knives that happen to have a Spyderco logo on them. I had one that I hardly used, yet the locking mechanism broke.

Something like the Persistence, Tenacious, or Resilience are pretty good. The ones I've handled felt like Spyderco's, opened smoothly, etc. As Rustpot posted, they cut costs on the steel. If you find them in the $40-something range, they're a good buy. For more than that, I'd rather get a made-in-USA Kershaw.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I have had the Resilience for many years. It is my preferred knife to carry. Rock solid and has held a decent edge. I wish it wasn't made there, but I'm having a hard time justifying replacing it with a US made one.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had a Tenacious.

It is a very nice knife. No complaints at all. For the price, it is hard or impossible to beat.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have a Laci Szabo Spyderco folder. It is very well made. No problems with this knife!

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post