SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Knife Lube
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife Lube Login/Join 
Picture of JasonATI
posted
I've seen some pretty impressive collections in here and am wondering is there one type of lube that works best with different types of bushings and bearings or do you have to use different lubes for each type of pivot?

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a small plastic bottle of KPL Knife Oil from, IIRC, Amazon, a year or so ago. Just use a small amount on my knives and the bottle is still pretty full.

Knives are well lubed, everything works freely and no rust.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've used mineral oil on the moving parts and it's worked fine. I suppose a light oil or KPL would also be fine. Lucas makes a fishing reel lube that would also might work since it's designed for wet environments. I think the key is don't put too much on else it will collect dust and stain your pants.

On the blades of knifes that even though stainless are somewhat susceptible corrosion or staining, I use a bit of Sentry Solutions Tuf-Glide, especially if they are just sit around for long periods. I had a Spyderco ZDP189 steel that got a pretty bad stain just rattling around in my bedroom dresser drawer.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
No need to overthink it. Whatever oil you have for your guns, or even Mobil 1 will work fine. If you're going to use it to cut food, then I'd use mineral oil because it's non-toxic.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
Normally I just use Knife Pivot Lube but I just picked up a Chris Reeve Sebenza 31 and for those they seem to say to use a grease rather then oil.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
KPL is good, but any light oil is fine.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I just use Rem Oil.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I use Nano Oil.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Microtech reccommends Rem-Oil spray. Flood your knife mechanism , blow out the excess. Wipe dry. Done.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WERA49
posted Hide Post
These have worked well for me. Knife lube isn't critical. I can feel the difference in viscosity, but nothing else. Cheap lube or expensive lube both do the same thing.

Rob
NRA Life Member

Posts: 546 | Location: OH | Registered: March 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cuttndry
posted Hide Post
I've always used a small bottle of Hoppes No. 9 with the "precision applicator". First I clean the pivot with isopropyl alcohol, apply the Hoppes, then work in. I've never had any trouble. As said above, mineral oil is best if you're using the knife for food preparation.

Only thing I have had a bad experience with: WD-40. While it does contain some lubricants, it often gums up the works after a while. I can't speak to it's rust inhibiting properties, but I wouldn't use it in place of a good pivot/gun oil.

Posts: 15 | Location: OH | Registered: December 28, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
I use Ballistol lubricant on my knives.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Me too.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I use whatever is at hand. I have been known to apply Renaissance Wax to the blade itself. Mainly because I bought the small tub of it and quickly realized it was 3 lifetimes worth of wax and I didn’t have to be soaring with it. I started looking for stuff to use it on. Lol

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I recently used G96 (conventional) on a breakdown cleaning, and was impressed with how it flowed and thickened very slightly after the solvents evaped off. I think it is a creeping oil, which I image would be excellent for knife pivots and blade oxidation resistance.

Oh, and Ren Wax as per the above poster. That's what I just applied to all my blades recently.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used everything from CLP to mineral oil but the Lucas extreme duty gun oil (needle applicator) seems to work really well. Not sure if they even sell it anymore as it hasn't been on the shelves in quite some time.

This....https://www.lucasoil.com/product/extreme-duty-gun-oil/

Posts: 585 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I just picked up some of the Lucas Extreme Gun Oil and have applied it to my auto, boy is it quick opening now.

Got it at the local HiLo/O"Reilly auto parts store. I also bought some Lucas CLP at the same time.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
A lot of good suggestions for knife-pivot lube. Personally, I use Zoom Oil. Made for high-temp furnace and electric motor apps. Sold at most hardware outlets.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post