SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Out The Front (OTFs) what’s your experience & favorites?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out The Front (OTFs) what’s your experience & favorites? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A utx 85 is a good choice I think; I got a new one here at $225.

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I have wanted an Ultratech as my first free knife purchase, orange with plain stonewashed blade. However the last price increase was the final straw against it. It now costs more than a .22lr rifle, they don’t want you to take it apart, use proprietary screws, and they appear to only make Star Wars “special” editions. I wish Hogue made a blatant rip-off of it.

Actually, they’ve changed their warranty policy on disassembly. They even sell the tool to do it with now. Just don’t modify the guts and expect them to fix it for free. If you look around, Ultratechs can be had in the $200-250 range on the secondary market, often NIB. Stonewashed SE’s seem to fetch the least money. Everyone makes a 3.5 OTF now, and while the Hogue offering is pretty good, honestly, it’s nowhere near as refined as the Ultratech. I think the only thing they do better is the button shape, that X button tore my thumb up the first week or so. I do have to give them serious credit for this, though: if you need parts, they’ll just them to you rather than require to send the knife in. If you’re at all handy, they’d actually prefer you do any maintenance or parts replacements. The slide plate on mine broke right after I got. I bought it used, and it wasn’t maintained. They shipped me one for free. I opened it up, swapped the parts out, and it was good as new.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Grumpy, I know you recommended I try one a few months ago, but that last picture you posted may very well have convinced me to try a Guardian Tactical next. I like the Combat Troodon a lot, but the action on mine is not only really stiff, it kind of stacks just before the release point on the retraction. I know Guardian Tactical uses hall bearings in their switches, and that neatly solves my big complaint with this knife so far. With a blade nearly the same size and a much more aggressive grind, it’s hard to argue against it. Looks like the 040 has a grip the same exact size with even a bit bigger blade.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Smudge that is good to hear. I have always liked the slimness and profile of the Ultratech. If I pick one up, swapping the bolts out for torx would be the first thing I do.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you find something, let me know. I just took a quick look and all I’m seeing are colored titanium “tri wing” replacements. There’s some of the old three hole style on Ali and Wish, but I’m not putting Chinese fucking screws in a Microtech.

And yes, the Ultratech slimness in the pocket and hand is about perfect.

Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish Hogue made a blatant rip-off of it.

@Voshterkoff
Check their website. I just got an email from Hogue Knives today, and it looks like they may have something you'd be interested in.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
I wish Hogue made a blatant rip-off of it.

@Voshterkoff
Check their website. I just got an email from Hogue Knives today, and it looks like they may have something you'd be interested in.

https://www.hogueinc.com/knive...k-carbon-fiber-cover

This thing? Looks neat, but I hope they introduce a model without the carbon fiber, the glass breaker, and drop the price some. It's not into Marfione Custom territory, but I wouldn't mind a more utilitarian package. Looks like they also came out with a Sig Compound, but it's $330 on the distributor sites. You can get a Microtech with a more "premium" blade steel for less. It is nice to see them using stuff like CPM S30V and Magnacut and moving on from 154CM, though. I do like the action on the Hogue autos a lot better, but I wish their prices were more competitive. I'm guessing Voshterkoff was hoping Hogue would come out with a straight up Ultratech clone (which the Counterstrike looks to be), but for cheaper. I know I'd buy one.

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Smudge, have you handled the Guardian Tactical yet ?!? You mentioned being tempted.
I really want to hear your feeling once you work the deployment switch especially if you can side by side with a Microtech.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I saw it, and it has my interest. I would like a non-premium model in aluminum, and with a single edge drop point blade.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post