SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Out The Front (OTFs) what’s your experience & favorites?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out The Front (OTFs) what’s your experience & favorites? Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
After enough research I finally picked up a Microtech Ultratech 122-4 (D/E)
Very impressed with the build quality & durability especially the YouTube torture tests.
I know some feel $300 makes them over priced but that seems to be the price range where most quality folding knives lives.
What are some of the favorites of the SigForum family?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Microtech makes a good knife. They are expensive, but they are made (mostly) by high priced American labor.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My only OTFs are Microtech knives. I have a Combat Troodon, Ultratech, UTX85, and a UTX70. The Combat Troodon is pretty robust and the UTX70 is like a little toy. The UTX85 is a pretty useful size for a utility knife and the Ultratech is nice for something a little bigger. Of my 4 OTF knives the Combat Troodon is the only one that had any pocket play but the DE blade is pretty impractical for utility purposes… but DE blades is what makes OTF knives cool. My two small ones sport SE blades which lends them to more utilitarian tasks.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to get a Microtech next but for now I have a HK otf by Hogue and like it a lot.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have the HK Epidemic. Not sure who makes it. It's nice and all.

But for everyday use, I have a few of the cheapo Lightning ones. I've pretty much snapped the point on all of them picking my way into buildings during work. You'd think the apartment complexes would give us master keys to the entry doors. Nope.

But every mope and their homie can get a key

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t impressed with the edge on this when it arrived. So I happily discovered that the single point clamp on my TsProf Kadet sharpening system had a ridge that ran across the two “teeth” of the clamp & fit perfectly into the “blood groove” locking the blade in place.
Allowing me to put a proper mirrored edge on it.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
If you like the quality of a Microtech but want a smoother action in the deployment switch and a razor out of the box, I’d recommend the Guardian Tactical Recon 035.
A couple folks from Microtech left to start their own company.
The actuation switch has ball bearings that ride on a stainless steel plate under the switch.
Super smooth & about 1/2 the effort needed to deploy the blade.
The blade is hollow ground so it’s quite thin behind the edge .

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I bought a Benchmade “Infidel” before the company became anathema to some gun owners, and I still prefer the design that puts the activation switch on the broad side of the handle rather than on the usual narrow edge. The knife seems to fit more naturally in my hand when I hold it to activate it that way. I also believe I would be able to hold onto the handle more securely with my arthritic hand than the more common straighter sides if I ever had to use it for the only reason I carry it.

I have looked for others like it, but without success.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I bought a Benchmade “Infidel” before the company became anathema to some gun owners, and I still prefer the design that puts the activation switch on the broad side of the handle rather than on the usual narrow edge. The knife seems to fit more naturally in my hand when I hold it to activate it that way. I also believe I would be able to hold onto the handle more securely with my arthritic hand than the more common straighter sides if I ever had to use it for the only reason I carry it.

I have looked for others like it, but without success.

Microtech's Dirac (smaller) and Dirac Delta are made with the slider on the wide side. I like the Delta I have.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is a Combat Troodon. The handle is about 5.5" closed, so it is biggish, but it isn't too heavy for its size.

posted Hide Post
I own a combat Troodon, a utx-85, and an ultratech. Great knives. I’ve never owned a benchmade infidel, but they seem to be pretty good too. That’s all my experience with OTF.

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I has a Scarab 2 and like its thick blade intended obviously for life-death missions because who else needs a knife that fires underwater! It proved so big as an OTF that I traded it and now miss it.

I presently have a side folder I bought here that I received this week, the Microtech SOCOM elite auto. Hope to get another of the company’s OTF.

Reminds me of the Strider fixed blades I had - built to handle anything! So, all I own presently is this sidefolder but want another OTF do hope this string helps w ideas!

My present knife:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JAjHwSnXVY6ENBTy6

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tschiemer,

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
US Made Böker+ OTF auto 'Automat Kalashnikov'

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Z06,

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Octagun
posted Hide Post
I have a Scarab that has held up well over the last 10 years.

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 04, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

After moving to AZ in late 2001 I started buying autos that were NOT legal where we came from. My first OTF was the Microtech in the middle. Others followed from the 1940's German Othello (top) to the little CA legal OTF on the left.

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Like Z06, I moved to Arizona and buying an OTF was one of the first things on my agenda. My first was an HK Hadron in 154CM made by Hogue. That only served to whet the appetite, and I very recently picked up two Microtechs in 204P - a lightly used Combat Troodon, and a NIB Ultratech.

I’ve messed with the Hogue the most, but the Ultratech has quickly become my favorite. I need to send the CT back to Microtech for them to sharpen.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking this thread is going to cost me $, have been thinking of a UTX 85 for a while.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I handled a couple at a shop, they felt nice in the hand. If the size is what has you thinking of the 85, you might also consider taking a look at the Hera. It’s also 7.5” OAL, and 3.08” blade vs 3.0” so they’re pretty close in size. The Hera lacks the glass breaker (which some prefer) and has a newer pocket clip design. The body shape is a bit more hand filling, but it was just a bit short for my hand, otherwise I would have strongly considered it.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
If you want something that fills the hand more than an Ultratech, has a comparable blade to the Troodon but carries smaller in the pocket and want a blade with a much slicier hollow grind…
I can’t recommend the Guardian Tactical Recon035 enough.

Of course they do offer a larger Recon040 and multiple blade shapes.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have wanted an Ultratech as my first free knife purchase, orange with plain stonewashed blade. However the last price increase was the final straw against it. It now costs more than a .22lr rifle, they don’t want you to take it apart, use proprietary screws, and they appear to only make Star Wars “special” editions. I wish Hogue made a blatant rip-off of it.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post