SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    I've really come to appreciate the Delica, couple new toys
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've really come to appreciate the Delica, couple new toys Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So over the past couple years I have spent more time around salt water, pools, water in general so in that time I have bought several Spyderco Salts in H1 to keep in the cars, swim with, keep in my pool bag etc. I have found that the H1 steel, when serrated, does extremely well. Cuts great, holds an edge more then well enough for my needs and obviously doesn't rust and I can attest to this.

So H1 isn't a great steel when used as a plain edge but like I said in serrated guise is working awesome for me. The Salts have also really given me an appreciation for the Spyderco Delica form factor.

So I recently picked up a couple new toys. A Salt 2 Wharncliffe in LC200n straight edge to get a feel for if the LC200n will hold an edge without the serrations and still be as rust proof as H1. So far its a marvelous blade. Very sharp, cuts great has a great point and like all the Salts is SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT. Lock up on all of them is rock solid and all flick open and drop closed easily enough.

Since I have gained this appreciation for the Delica I also picked up an actual Delica, this one going the complete opposite direction of the SALTS being in K390, which is not a stainless steel at all. What the K390 Delica is, is a light saber in your pocket. HOLY CRAP that thing is s slicer and the edge is great. Like the other it opens and closes easily and just feels great.

Anyhoo, I thought I would share. I have really gained an appreciation for the old school Delica design, yes its damn near prehistoric as far as modern knives go but it really is a great little package.

Take care, cut safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nice, the Wharncliffe is an under appreciated knife design imho.

Who are you buying from?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I need to try out a Delica. I have an Endura I basically never carry. For me, it's a nice knife, but for the size, I want something with a sturdy frame and G10 scales for strength, like a Military or a Manix 2 XL. In the PM2 size range, I think a FRN gripped knife would be just dandy.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Wharncliffes, this one and two serrated blades and I really them.

I mostly buy from BladeHQ but have bought a couple from Amazon. If buying from Amazon be cautious of counterfeits, but that said I haven't had any problems. Most of the Amazon prime sellers are vendors like BladeHQ etc.

I have actually found the FRN to be a really good material with GREAT purchase. The "scales" on it do a great job of locking it into your fingers.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carried an old school black Delica with VG-10 steel and made in SEKI-CITY Japan for years.

I had an opportunity many years ago to get 3 at a discount rate and I jumped on it. I see a lot of neat folders but it's hard to change when my Delica works so well. I still have 2 NIB Smile

Posts: 787 | Registered: April 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I used to have a knife collecting problem. I bought a Delica in ZDP-189 when they came out and it cured me. It's so good I haven't felt the urge to buy anything else (aside from that one Atlantic Salt- hey, I needed a beach knife!) The Delica is a fantastic and timeless design to begin with, and it just keeps cutting and cutting and cutting.

After some years on the wagon though, the new LC200n Salt 2 is probably going to knock me off. It looks fantastic.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post