SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Let's talk Machetes & Kukris
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk Machetes & Kukris Login/Join 
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted
I am in the market to buy a machete or kukri, primarily for camping needs: hacking branches for firewood, clearing the area, etc. I already have an axe for chopping heavier wood.

My budget is $100, but I am open to spend more if need be. I would like a decent steel that will cut, and also that I don't have to sharpen every time I use it.

What can you all recommend, and NOT recommend?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’ve used a serrated backed military model from Ontario Knife for years. Affordable, light, and works very well. Kukris are nice for chopping but can be heavy.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I've got a Condor HD Kukri in the camper and the thing is a workhorse

ETA: Here's a pic of the handle mod I did a while back, the Condor handle is thick, so I slimmed it to a more oval profile and did some file cuts to add texture. It seems to be an improvement and gives more control.

But as Para recommends griptape may be the best solution. I have some Goontape on order to give it an extra wrap.

Also, reading this thread I'm looking at the Condor Mini Duku 10", and the Condor Village Parang 12".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GCE61,

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Condor Bushcraft Parang and the Tramontina 14" Bolo. The two combined should come to 100 bucks or less. The Tramontina bolo has a cult following.

Posts: 107259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have a Condor Golok and it's nice, but every time I use it I wish there was a little more to it. Heft or length. It may just be I'm using the wrong tool for the job.

I have a Woodsman's Pal that I keep in the same vehicle, but in a different spot. A great storage space, so great I forget it's there... and use the golok instead. It has more heft, but any time I've used it, I also wish it was longer and made me wish I had my machete. Again maybe the wrong tool for the job.

How you're getting you and it to your camping area would play a part. Of the three, the golok is the easiest to carry.

Woodsman's pal is way north of your price range and don't know that it's worth it. I got mine with a deep discount.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Had mine for quite some time:
--Himalayan Imports (Bill Martino) 1998 Nepal Sami handmade 15" Ang Khola buffalo horn handled khukri
-- Becker Tool & Knife (Ethan Becker) BK6 Patrol Machete 14" epoxy coated 0170-6C blade with GV6H handle

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Condor Bushcraft Parang and the Tramontina 14" Bolo. The two combined should come to 100 bucks or less. The Tramontina bolo has a cult following.

I just saw the Tramontina bolo on Ebay from a Knife dealer for $18. I ordered one for me and one for my brother based on the advice here.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I do lots of Machete work and use an Ontario 22".
Get the orange handle model.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Anything described by Himalayan Imports as a 'villager utility knife'. It'll be a working knife with the work put into it aimed at performance not aesthetics.

I have one, no mirror polish finish... it still has the forge scale on it. I've limbed trees with it no problem.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:

I just saw the Tramontina bolo on Ebay from a Knife dealer for $18. I ordered one for me and one for my brother based on the advice here.

And now I really want to try out that Tramontina Bolo on some of the bush honeysuckle we get way too much of around here.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I ordered the Condor Parang. It looks to be about the size I want, with enough meat in the blade. And, it comes with a sheath.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For your Bushcraft Parang, you'll want to wrap the handle in sports wrap- the stuff people wrap around the handles of tennis rackets. Trust me, it improves the feel of the handle, makes it more comfortable in the hand- but more importantly, it improves traction, and when you're dealing with a big, sharp chopping tool that you swing, you want all the traction you can get.

When you wrap the handle, start the wrap at the rear of the handle and wrap forward. This way, the overlapping of the wrap goes in the correct direction for a tool which is going to try to slide forward in your hand. If you wrap it starting from the front, you'll find that the wrap will begin to get loose on you fairly quickly.

The sheath- when you sheath your parang, do it slowly and put the back of the blade right up against the edge of the sheath and insert the Parang carefully, making sure all the while that the back of the blade is in contact with the edge of the sheath (the back-of-the-blade side of the sheath). Otherwise, you will end up cutting the edge side of the sheath. It's a functional sheath, and that's all. Condor could have done a better job with the sheath.

Sharpening- I recommend an Imacasa Canoe file or a Lansky puck. This parang has a convex edge. Sharpen it in the same fashion you would sharpen an axe or hatchet.

Lastly- and you probably already know this- for God's sake, watch your swing. Never swing your parang in such a way that the follow through will cross your body. This parang is a fearsome thing and you can do yourself grievous bodily injury with it. If you camp or hike in a place where firearms are not allowed, take your parang along with you. You could about take a man's head off with it.

Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Hey, Para....thanks for your time, and for providing those tips. I just ordered one of the Imocasa canoe sharpeners.

That website also has a good video on basic machete sharpening.

I will pick up some grip tape material here locally.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Did you get your parang?

Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you get your parang?

Yup. It looks great, good balance, and it arrived very sharp. And you're right, the grip tape is a must. I no longer have the hand-strength as I had when was younger and the handle slips easily.

I am going camping next weekend, so I will get to try it out.

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
Anything described by Himalayan Imports as a 'villager utility knife'. It'll be a working knife with the work put into it aimed at performance not aesthetics.

I have one, no mirror polish finish... it still has the forge scale on it. I've limbed trees with it no problem.

Good for open coconut Big Grin

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1944 USN issued Collins machete, Found on Guam in 1953.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalei:

Would like to see a pic of that if you have one.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
You might also consider a Bolo Knife---Lots of them on ebay and here is one that looks like it might serve your purposes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31378...1:g:2DQAAOSw--xhs8rE

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 125 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kalei:

Would like to see a pic of that if you have one.[/QUOTE

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post