SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    My new Shun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new Shun Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
6.5" Nakiri.

I don't know how I've lived without this knife for so long. Perfect weight, perfect balance, not too big/small, razor sharp. It slices, dices, and minces perfectly, and it's pretty easy on the eyes.

It came just in time to whip up a batch of guac.

If you've got some extra scratch, I highly recommend it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Do you have a Santoku? I have a Shun hollow grind Santoku that I love but have been thinking about the nigiri a lot.

You have a great knife!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nice! I have chef / deba that I like.

The problem w/ these knives is that they come so sharp that when finally have to sharpen them, I'll probably just make it even worse.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Beautiful knife!!!!

How was the guac?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Do you have a Santoku?

I have a hollow ground Henckels that I've never been a big fan of. I was kind of excited to get it because I was hoping the side pits (whatever they're called) would help prevent sticking but they don't (at least not on that knife). As well, it just doesn't feel right in my hand. The Shun though, feels perfect. It was a bit spendy, but well worth it IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
How was the guac?

Quite tasty! Didn't last long. Wink

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
The problem w/ these knives is that they come so sharp that when finally have to sharpen them, I'll probably just make it even worse.

If I understand correctly, they have free (plus shipping of course) lifetime sharpening. I'll probably give it a go myself too though.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
High-end Shuns often use a stainless steel cladded blade, with a super steel core (usually Japanese blue steel).

The cores are often very hard and chippy. They can hold a very fine edge with a thin angle like 14°.

This is amazing knife steel; you can re-sharpen easily with something like a worksharp or if patient, waterstones.

Congratulations on such a nice knife!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's VG-Max. I'm not fluent in knife steel, so I'm not too sure on the qualities/characteristics of that steel.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Looks like VGMax replaced VG10 in some knives some years ago. Blame the Chinese!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post