SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Poll: Which knife would you pick for survival/SHTF?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Which knife would you pick for survival/SHTF? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

Thanks to Para, I've been on a big knife kick for the past few weeks. I've bought and sold a few. I'm now concentrating on a good SHTF knife. I have it narrowed down to these three.

Question:
Which knife would you choose for SHTF?

Choices:
Ka-Bar USMC (1217)
ESEE 6
Fallkniven A1

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If these were my only choices, it would be the K-Bar with the top edge sharpened (only recommended for a SHTF scenario).

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 173 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Fallkniven. I would prefer the VG10 steel over 1095.

I also find the curve of the ESEE's handle just behind the finger guard to be too tight for the handle to be comfortable for my largish hands.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Ka-bar as that is what I'm most used to.

The new Marine Corps Ka-Bar bayonet is a great addition to my kit as I think it's more useful as a standalone blade than the M7 bayonet was.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Probably the Ka-Bar, and I intend to acquire one sooner rather than later. The knife I currently own that is sort of handling that hypothetical role is the Air Force survival knife, which is basically just a smaller Ka-Bar with a sawback. 1095 high carbon steel, same basic shape and design, just smaller.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have the Kabar and it's a great knife but it's huge. The Esee is also a good option, but I'd take a look at the Esee 5 which has a thicker blade and may be the best true shtf knife of all time.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I have the Kabar and it's a great knife but it's huge. The Esee is also a good option, but I'd take a look at the Esee 5 which has a thicker blade and may be the best true shtf knife of all time.

This. When I think of SHTF knives, the ESEE 5 comes right to mind. It is a sharpened pry bar and it's a beast. I like the others you listed, especially the Fallkniven, but you should take another look at the 5. I've never tried to break one, but I'm sure it's tougher than the 6. You'll want a smaller, lighter companion knife (folder?) for more delicate work, though.

Posts: 2686 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
A Ka-Bar has helped my family through SHTF for 80 years.

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going with the Kabar, but I'm a former Marine, so what would you expect...

However, A GOOD ONE! I've broken a few of the ones issued to me back in those days, and have shied away from them because. Over the past few years, knives, steel and knife makers have come a long way, and have built out of better steel.

I'm looking at a cold steel or a strider.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted Ka-Bar because you can buy two cheaply and still have one if you lose or break one. The Fallkniven would be my second choice.
Want to up your game, Ka-Bar wise? Get a Dogs Head Ka-Bar. Its the GI model on steroids.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I voted Ka-Bar because you can buy two cheaply and still have one if you lose or break one. The Fallkniven would be my second choice.
Want to up your game, Ka-Bar wise? Get a Dogs Head Ka-Bar. Its the GI model on steroids.

I was looking at those and saw something even better... Check out the new 1292 model.

I gotta say, I'm really surprised to see so little love for ESEE.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Without the specifics of your SHTF parameters, of the ones you listed, the Fallkniven, by a significant margin. The 1/4" VG10 + Kraton handles = high performance/low maintenance/comfortable use.

It's been a great 'all arounder' for a long time.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdDwLcSRaNU

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Ka-Bar for me.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
I gotta say, I'm really surprised to see so little love for ESEE.

I’d take a 6HM over the regular ESEE 6. I have a 3, and it’s darned near perfect for my field use... except for the choil. I’m almost ready to grind it off, but the main thing keeping me from doing so is that I really like the sheath system.

Posts: 839 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Not on the list, but for me it would be a Randall #18 or #14. Also, a Chris Reeve Pacific or 5.5" Aviator would be on my list.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't feel bad with an Esee 4, it can do everything I have thrown at it.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of that list the Fallkniven is IMHO the highest quality. My favorite overall knife price/performance is the Fallkniven F1. Might be a little smaller than what seem to feel necessary for SHTF but it's the most useful size knife for overall use.

I would add the Bark River Bravo series to the list. A little bit more money but lots of high end steels available and a GREAT feeling grip.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about Bark River. What would be considered their flagship or most popular knife? Also, what do you guys think of the Cold Steel SRK?

posted Hide Post
elberettsa, The Bravo 1 is definitely Bark River's Flagship/most popular knife. My Fav is the Bravo 1 the Bravo 2 is a little long for overall use. The Bravo 1 is skeletonized under the grip for best balance, it's worth reading the story about how it came about. It's a super popular knife for good reason - PERFORMANCE!

The Cold Steel SRK is a solid chunk of steel for the money. I'll never forget 20+ years ago when I pulled my SRK out to skin a deer with and my hunting buddies asked why the hell I was using a bayonet to skin my deer! LOL.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Ha! Ha! Dang, the Bravo 1 is really nice. I didn't realize there were so many variations of them.