SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    "Powder Metal steel" ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Powder Metal steel" ? Login/Join 
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted
I've been seeing ads for knives made with "Powder Metal" steel. Is that basically MIM ?
I don't see how that could make a good knife blade, or am I misunderstanding this material ?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those links.

I can see now that this steel is nothing like MIM.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
CPM is as Crucible specific name. The PM steels are some of the strongest and best you can buy.

Posts: 3364 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, in my pocket every day is a CPM S110V blade, and it’s the most impressive cutting tool I’ve owned. I understand there’s much better now, but the point is powdered metal steels can be quite high quality.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is hard to keep up
With the steel of day in knives!

Posts: 192 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of the powder steels have been around for many years. 110V 15yrs, 30V 20yrs, Maxamet 21yrs, Rex 121 24yrs, 3V 24yrs... Some of these steels have been used by custom knifemakers for many years as well. Higher production makers like Spyderco, ZT.... and semi custom Chris Reeves (35V) have been using these steels for awhile.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: offgrid,

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
ZDP-189 is the steel that cured me of the compulsion to keep buying new knives. It's just so good I didn't need anything else. I bet many of the other PM steels boast similar performance. That said, a lot of the knife advertisements I see now are for overpriced knives with marginal steels and flashy language, so due diligence is necessary.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
MagnaCut is the new "best thing" right now. Some amazing results are being seen with the steel. It was formulated by Dr Larrin Thomas (Devin Thomas, a hugely popular Damascus maker's son). Larrin also owns www.knifesteelnerds.com

You should check it out. I have a custom being made right now with some MagnaCut.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Crucible Particle Metallurgy…..sooooooo far from MIM. Some of my favorite blade steel.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sphill:
I have a custom being made right now with some MagnaCut.

Kitchen knife?

Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:
Originally posted by sphill:
I have a custom being made right now with some MagnaCut.

Kitchen knife?

Could be. It is a fixed blade but not a chef style.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The term "Powdered metal" or "metal matrix" covers some really cheap crap up to some of the most high tech and high strength products you can imagine.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post